Newbie - Crazy But Big Opportunity (Long)

Business By lsienna Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 12:27am by denette

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

Iâd like to chime in only because of the âyou canât do thatâ vibe of some of the commentsâ¦

Only because lsienna has never decorated a cake doesnât mean sheâs overpromising, or overselling in her approach to this event (aside from the legal aspect of it all)⦠If a sculptor, for example, all of a sudden decided to work in fondant and gum paste instead of clay, it would take little to no effort to make the jump into the new medium, and I can guarantee the sculptorâs cakes three months into it would *look* better than those of the local baker whoâs been piping buttercream roses for the last 10 years â granted, the latter are likely to *taste* better though with todayâs mixes it is all questionable⦠She clearly stated âI have lots of experience making models, carpentry, painting, airbrushing etc. just not with cakes.â In the case of such large scale 3-D endeavors cake in itself as edible baked batter is secondary, it is the art, craft and construction behind it that countsâ¦

So⦠two thumbs up from me, go for it lsienna, get the legal stuff covered as priority #1, and make sure to keep us updated on your caking progress!

I totally agree.

Isienna,

You sound like one of those people who have a natural artistic/creative talent. This is more important to decorating than experience in my opinion. I have a feeling that the decorating aspect will come quickly for you.

You must practice baking. You can have the most artistically beautiful cake in the world, but if it doesn't taste good people are not going to care.

You can make the cupcakes/cookies ahead of time and freeze them. I would make the showpiece cake completely out of styrofoam (or other non-cake medium). Then you can also make this well ahead of time. You also have less worry of disasters. Shoot you could start it tomorrow.

Put a lot of effort in on the sheet cakes. This is what your potential customers will be tasting. Make sure they taste great!

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:08pm
post #62 of 65

Well, the update is I emailed the event woman and told her I would have to bow out her event for now but would like to meet with her when I get up and running to discuss possible opportunities for next year.

I recently found out that my town of Methuen, Ma does not allow home baking and you must have a seperate commercial kitchen. Figures, I found other MA bakers here on CC that say it is legal for them to do it.

Funny thing is, the health insp. says I could build an addition or seperate building but the building insp. says we are not zoned for this therefore it is not allowed- Lord, Lord, Lord - make up my mind already!

Oh well, on to plan "C", whatever that is. I am still moving forward and checking out all options. I guess I put the cart before the horse on the whole event thing. Lesson learned?: Never assume before checking things out first. All towns are not the same in the same state. It goes by town rules not state rules. I just assumed others had their own MA home baking license so I would therefore be able to as well. NOT!

Oh well, onward - through the fog.

lsienna

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #63 of 65

lsienna...i see a lighthouse in your future

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #64 of 65

L, remember there are never NOs. It's just a matter of finding the right person to say yes.

Mike

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #65 of 65

Isienna-

Now that you've got yourself equipped, have fun practicing for that day that you can have your commercial kitchen. It sounds like you've got a lot of talent!

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%