Trying First Ever All Butter Buttercream

Baking By lovinkakes Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 4:30am by Katie-Bug

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 16

Yes, with everything I'm seeing about partially hydrogenated (oils) I am trying an all butter recipe. Usually I use spectrum shortening anyway, and tried earth balance shortening sticks last night. But my sister has started decorating and has two kids and I don't want them eating that stuff!

'Am heading to the gym and will try it when I get back. Any comments welcome (suggestions, etc).

15 replies
sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 16

I do it all the time, it tastes good.

Blazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blazer Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 16

let me know what recipe that you tried and how it turns out OK
tks!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 16

I have Crisco phobia and never touch the stuff, so it is all butter for me all the time. My personal favourite is Shirley's IMBC.

tigergirl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigergirl70 Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 16

I also always use butter and get great reviews!

dbmiller02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbmiller02 Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 16

Just curious for those of you that use all butter, how are you able to get a white buttercream? Are there any tricks? I use the 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup crisco recipe right now. I would like to switch to all butter but I want to have a white buttercream. Is this possible?

Thanks!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 16

I've posted this a lot, but it is important, so here goes again!

If you mix your buttercream long enough, it will turn practically white.

If you have a KA, let it go six minutes or so.

Magic!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 16

You can also add just a very teeny tiny touch of violet to your all butter BC to help turn it white. Just be very carefull and don't add too much. Just a very small amount on the end of a tooth pick.

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 16

ziggytarheel. do you have problems with lots of bubbles. I guess not. Is that because it's butter.

Here're my results. Seems fine
LL

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 16

Butter is the best in the taste (salt free) and yet, I find my cakes always look 100% better and taste supreme when I add a little Crisco.

Here are some "scientific truths regarding butter cream icing"... after all, baking is a science.....

Shortening containing mono and diglycerides will aerate better than butter.

If the icing crusts on your frosted cake, and cracks when you are trying to move it, try adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of shortening the next time you make it because it is what makes the icing smoother.

1 cup shortening to 1 pound powdered sugar is a nice ratio for a creamy icing.

An all butter icing will not hold up as well as one which has some vegetable shortening in it... I use 3 parts butter to 1 part shortening. Taste is fantastic and even I forget there is shortening in it when I taste it! Of course, I use Creme Bouquet as my flavoring!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 16

I love 100% butter , Buttercream... it is never gritty...

Taste is wonderful.. icon_smile.gif

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 16

Has anyone tried a European butter for their all butter cream? I have some in my fridge (got it free) and it's 84% butterfat, supposedly better for baking. But since it's a cultured product, I don't know if it would affect the end taste...

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 16

I can't imagine an all butter buttercream... I would love it, but my hands are so hot.... the crisco at least helps it stay a little stiffer....

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I can't imagine an all butter buttercream... I would love it, but my hands are so hot.

After you color your icing, divide it in half and bag the halves in separate bags. Pipe with half while the other half sits in the fridge. Whenever the bag you're using gets too warm switch it with the bag that's in the fridge. Also if you use disposables, put the disposable into a canvas bag to insulate the icing somewhat from your hands.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:42am
post #15 of 16

IMBC cold tastes like ice cream. Yummy stuff. To me SMBC is easier to work with, but it is buttery. Does anyone use "French" Buttercream. French is the one with the yolks instead of the whites.

Yes, if you whip butter long enough it will whiten out.

Mike

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #16 of 16

I do a all butter- buttercream and most customers that taste it say it reminds them of ice cream!
I really enjoy the taste and texture, it light and creamy.
Yum!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%