Square Cake Pans

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 23 May 2008 , 5:57pm by mindywith3boys

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 12

What brand of square/rectangle baking pans do y'all use to get sharp edges? Where do you buy them at reasonable prices? I have all Wilton pans from back in the day (pre-Cake Central) when I thought Wilton products were the bomb! icon_lol.gif I can't seem to get a square corner if my life depends on it. icon_mad.gif I'm thinking I need new pans, but everything is sooooo expensive!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sandra

11 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 12

I use Fat Daddio pans from (fondantsource . com)!!! Very inexpensive!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 12

I have mostly Magic Line and definitely do prefer them, but there are some other brands of similar quality. You just need to make sure they are a heavy gauge and have sharp corners, and straight sides.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 12

I use magic line and love them. You always get the true corners with the magic line pans.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 12

Fat Daddio!

formerbuckeye Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks ladies! Sounds like Fat Daddio pans are very popular. jessfmaldonado: those are great prices!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 12

Magic line are the best if you are looking for sharp corners. They are welded so they are a little harder to clean but they have sharp corners.

formerbuckeye Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Magic line are the best if you are looking for sharp corners. They are welded so they are a little harder to clean but they have sharp corners.

Thanks. I may order one Daddio and one Majic Line and compare.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 12

I am a Magic Line addict.......other then the occasional Wilton round or petal, it's all I use. I especially like their squares because of their sharp corners.

I just learned a little trick to get really sharp corners yesterday. Normally, I just spray with Pam and line with parchment but I noticed the corners were getting mangled so I decided to brush all the right angle edges, including corners, with crisco and then dusted with flour. The cake came out looking like a perfect box!

I will never do it with Pam again. And I am thinking that this extra step is a lifesaver in any shaped pan to get those nice, sharp edges.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 12

I replaced all my square rectangle pans with magic line and fat daddios, all their shapes have been wonderful and true to pan shape, corners and all. the cheapest I find them and with low shipping is here. They have all the 2,3 and 4 inch ones you could want, all the shapes actually.
Great customer service too.

http://www.intotheoven.com/Pans-Square-2-Inch/c87_133_134/index.html

formerbuckeye Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 12

[quote="CakeDiva73"]I just learned a little trick to get really sharp corners yesterday. Normally, I just spray with Pam and line with parchment but I noticed the corners were getting mangled so I decided to brush all the right angle edges, including corners, with crisco and then dusted with flour. The cake came out looking like a perfect box![quote]

Wow, that is a great tip! I need all the help I can get on those squares. Thanks.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 12

I have a mix of fat daddios and magic line pans and I like them both just fine. Other than the fact that the magic lines are a little bit heavier and they turn colors, I find they perform the same. The fat daddio's have a nice sharp corner, even though it looks like they might have a little bit of a rounded edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%