100 Years Old!!!

Decorating By aliciag Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm by aliciag

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 17

My DH GM is turning 100 in 2 months!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I want to make her the biggest and most beautiful cake she has ever seen! Remember, I am competing against 99 other cakes! lol icon_lol.gif

I've been looking and looking at pictures and I just can't find THE ONE.

To me, this is way more important than a wedding cake. It will probably be the only 100th birthday we will ever celebrate.

I would love suggestions or pictures of cake that makes you go icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I want it to be big and bright.

Thank you!

16 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:03am
post #2 of 17

http://www.carriescakes.com/cakes.php

take a look at carrie's cakes.
she has some of the most amazing and beautiful cakes. thumbs_up.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 17

For dh's gm's 90th birthday I made a "Family Tree" cake - I put every kid, grandkid and great grand kid's name on a leaf on the cake - each branch of the cake was one line of the family -

the picture is in my photos

barb

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:24am
post #4 of 17

the traditional gift for a 100th anniversary is : 100th Wedding Anniversary
Traditional Gifts:
Modern Gifts: 10K Diamond

This could be translated into a birthday celebration

You could make a tiered cake with a large "diamond" shapped cake on the top painted with pearl luster dust and glitter dust (to make it sparkle)

The layers could be a deep gold with sparkly accents

I don't know if this helps, but I know you will come up with something wonderful

Another idea is a college on the cake of her life moments...

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 17

I think a collage is most fitting. You could make it BEAUTIFUL by using fondant and placing black and white pictures on it, using fresh flowers. I love pictures....... especially old ones! Plus, it would be so much fun for the whole family to look at and reminisce.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 17

I went to the link above for carrie's cakes and... WOW!! they are gorgeous!

Right away, I found this cake in the special occasions/showers gallery. You could put pcs of her and her family all around. I love, love , love this cake!!
Arg!! It won't let me copy/paste it here, but if you go to that gallery, it's a 3 tiered cake with yellow roses on top, photos around the sides and some beautiful writing.

aliciag Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 17

Carrie's cakes are beautiful! thank you for the link.

The family tree is a great idea for a big family but with only one kid and one grandkid it's kinda sad.lol icon_lol.gif

The collage would be awsome if I had old pictures of her but no one could find any so I need to go with something else.

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 17

Why not make a cake that represents what she has done and been in life
her hobbies depicted, her jobs - if any or even being a mom, her garden she loved, and stuff like that = memories for her to enjoy in more than one way - lol

for eg, have a 3 tiered cake, the bottom one , about her marraige and her baby - when he was a baby lol, and then second one where she did her hobbies - eg sewing or gardening etc, third one - your memories of her, and what she means to you!!
you could write it or make gum paste things etc

oooh i dont quiet know how to explain it!!!! sorry

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 17

if you check out wilton's forum. cakeacasion posted a cake recently and they did a cake for someone's 100 birthday.

I think the cake is very beautiful

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 17

I think a design centered around a hundred flowers would be really nice. I've seen cakes covered with apple blossoms- so pretty! I love the idea of one with violets! Do you know of her favorite flowers or colors?

Good luck!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #11 of 17

. . . it may seem "out there" . . . but you may want to consider celebrating the year 1908 . . . and by that I mean 1908 was the same year that Tin Lizzy (the Ford Model T) was "born" . . . maybe you could tie that together as a "what is special about the year 1908" - Tin Lizzy and DH GM . . . the car could be girlied up (it wouldn't have to be a masculine cake) . . .

http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/showroom/1908/touring.jpg

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:56am
post #12 of 17

Cool idea dragonflydreams....you got my vote.

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #13 of 17

You could do a tiered cake with each tier representing a different decade.
No matter what you decide to do, this sounds like so much fun and such a special cake. Making a 100th bday cake doesn't happen often.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #14 of 17

My being an older person, I think most old people think of themselves as being 18 to 25 years of age. Instead of going with the year they are born, I would tend to go with the years they were in that age range. The roaring 20's was the beginning of a new way of life. My house was built in 1897 and I have bedrooms decorated in different time periods. One of the rooms is from 1927 and it is so fun to go in. The hats they wore, the long strands of pearls, the beaded purses, movies like, Wings, with Clara Bow, gloves, Felix The Cat, the Charleston...........

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 17

I saw a cake somewhere, I thought it was here on cakecentral but I cannot find it for someone who did a 100th cake, it is similiar to this one I found but more detailed, they actually used the number tins so the 00 had the holes in it and they were filled with sprays of fondant/gumpaste roses and flowers, it was very feminine and pretty, this one is similiar...if I can find the one I saw I will post it later

http://www.alexblundell.info/100birthday.htm

here in another design that's nice too

http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Content.aspx?audioID=20586

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #16 of 17

I think I found it, but it was only fondant roses!!
simple yet pretty
LL

aliciag Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 17

The 100 cakes are very pretty but I was looking for more than numbers.

I think that celebrating 1908 is perfect! I think it would be special and more personal! I love it!

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for all your answers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%