Can You Add Extracts To Gumpaste???

Decorating By punkiin Updated 23 May 2008 , 1:11pm by acookieobsession

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 6

I'm wanting to use Gumpaste for the first time and understand that it's not tasty....Can you add something to it?? Or will it lose it's stiffness?

Cindy

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

You could probably add an extract to it if you were making it from scratch, or from a mix. I'm not sure about ready-made.

The flavor isn't really the only thing that keeps people from eating it, though. It dries very hard...rock hard...difficult to bite, a choking hazard for little kids, etc...

Gumpaste is really only useful for decorative work. If you want something tasty to work with, try fondant icon_biggrin.gif

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Texas Rose! I've used fondant before, but had to make a cake for a party tonight and wanted to use gumpaste to make sure it dried in time. If I use 50/50 does it taste any better???

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 6

I still would not reccomend eating the 50/50 mix. If you happen to have tylose powder you can add that to you fondant decorations and they will dry faster/harder and still be edible. Just don't add too much or it will effect the taste. When you add it and knead you can start to feel the fondant stiffening up, that is the time to stop. Tsp at a time and then knead.

HTH Julia

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe make any flowers or 3d decorations (like bows) out of gumpaste, and cover the cake in fondant? I use marshmallow fondant and it doesn't really need any drying time when it's used as a cake covering. Actually, if you made fondant flowers now for a cake this evening, they would dry in time, as long as they were something thin.

I'm not sure how the 50/50 would taste...I've smelled it and decided not to taste it. Maybe someone else knows, though icon_biggrin.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, the last reponse led me to question what you are going to do with the gumpaste....

Don't cover the cake in it for sure...BLECH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%