Can I Use Yellow Food Coloring In Lemon Curd??

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 23 May 2008 , 1:03pm by lutie

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #1 of 5

O.K. so I over cooked it a little bit. It still tastes good but looks kind of dingy, like yellowish brown instead of yellow. Do you think if I add some yellow coloring it will lighten it up, or do I need to make it again? It's kind of a pain to make but I don't want the cake to be cut and there like ewww what's that. It's going on a really small 4" tier so I don't need a lot of it. Any thoughts?

4 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 5

If it were me I'd make another batch. But guess you won't hurt anything if you try a little yellow color to see how it looks. You can always use it yourself. I love lemon curd!

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 5

It is yummy! I guess if I'm going to scrap it anyway, I might as well give it a shot.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 5

You can use the food coloring. However here is what I would worry about with the over cooked portion. The longer it sits the harder and gummier it is going to get. You might find that it is a big gummy mess when you cut the cake, like it can stand on it's own...gelatinous and yucky. Just my two cents....

JUlia

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 5

The yellow food coloring will give your cake the appearance that you used an instant pudding mix, plus I have seen food coloring bleed into cake after a while from fillings (like those pre-made and bought from stores). My opinion is never try to cover up a mistake... just do it over until it is the way it should be... it is your reputation on the line. Use the lemon curd in other ways for you and your family... If you absolutely have to use the damaged curd, grate a small amount of lemon peel into it to "fool the eye" into thinking it is more yellow than it really is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%