Cutting A "dummy Cake"??

Decorating By becklynn Updated 22 May 2008 , 11:50pm by indydebi

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 8

I want to cut a slice out of a dummy cake to practice making one of those "slice" cakes, you know, where you stack the slice on top of the cake. Can anyone tell me what to use that would make a nice smooth cut? I only have one, so I don't want to ruin it! Thanks in advance for any advice!

7 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 8

A KNIFE

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 8

I recently cut a cake dummy using a knife and it did not turn out very well at all. I'm thinking there has to be a better way. I'm a newbie to cake decorating, so I may be wrong.

I'll be watching this topic because I would love to know as well.

Melony

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 8

You could try an electric carving knife, I have used one before, it's not very clean, but it worked okay.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 8

They sell hot knives at hobby stores that are specifically made to cut through styrofoam. Which, having never worked with dummies before is what I assume they're made of. It costs about $20, but if you have a 40% off coupon, it's not too bad. It just cuts right through.

HTH! ~Mindy

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 8

The hot knife has a very short blade so I don't know if would work to cyt a slice out of a dummy. You might try a coping saw as it has a very thin blade but I don't think anything will give you a "clean" cut.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 8

Maybe what I have is something different. It has about a 10" "blade" which isn't a blade at all. It's more like a tiny curling iron, or soldering iron.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 8

I think I saw on the Agbay web site that they have a blade specifically designed to cut styrofoam ... don't hold me to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%