Sliding Layers!

Decorating By hotmamatigger Updated 23 May 2008 , 3:31am by vdrsolo

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 6

I made a 8" round cake at the last minute yesterday. On the way to the location the top layer slid half off the bottom layer. My guess is that the fact that the cakes were still warm and the icing hadn't set were significant contributing factors.

Could there have been something else that I'm over looking. I'm making a three tiered cake for a very special event next week, transporting the layers separate and assembling on site. Please let me know if there is anything else I should know before I mess this up!

Elizabeth

5 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 6

Your cakes should be absolutely cooled before icing...otherwise, it spells disaster, as you unfortunately learned. That alone was enough to cause the sliding.

For your next one, make sure the layers are COMPLETELY cooled before icing. And also, if each tier has layers, make sure that you do not have too much filling between the layers as that can also contribute to sliding.

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks. This was a very last minute cake... like I ran to the store at 7, and had to have it half an hour away by 9. Yeah, I was late! Never gonna happen again.

The celebration cake is going to be my first fruit filling cake. Due Wednesday morning. I plan on baking Monday night. Filling Tuesday morning, and decorating as much as possible on Tuesday night. Then I'll take the cakes to the site with the intention of being there about half an hour before the meeting starts which will be about an hour and a half before the party starts. I'm going to have a cascade of garden flowers (or maybe just roses) curving down the cake.

Elizabeth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 6

I had my first slider in my life a few weeks ago. It was a red raspberry filling and I think I had too much on there. Combine that with the fact that I had to slam on my brakes on the way to the wedding.....>! icon_mad.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 6

Elizabeth - sounds like a very pretty cake. Good idea to bake one day and decorate another. I almost always bake and freeze ahead of time.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

Torting can help tremendously. I use alot of pastry fillings in wedding cakes and instead of having one thick layer, I have 3 thinner layers. Those fillings can be very slippy when thick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%