How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By kendi25 Updated 22 May 2008 , 6:28pm by lutie

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
14 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 15

Can't open the link! Is it in your photos?

Beth

stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 15

Can you try reposting? I don't see a cake.

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 15

Link won't open.

kendi25 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 15

Here is the pic
LL

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 15

This is a kit right? I saw this in a Tennessee Bakery with 8" and 4" squares for $75.00.

HTH

Beth in KY

edited to add: I don't know that "I" would charge that much, but, then again...you can't really judge ANYTHING by me! LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 15

Looks like a kit on a square cake. Is that right?

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 15

How many does it serve? What it is made of?

I charge 3.50 per serving for 3-D cakes if they are basic flavors and BC. If there is fondant also, I add for that according to how much fondant and how much extra work was put in for the fondant work.

If it is all fondant, I would charge 4.50 per serving.

Plus add for the figures and sculptures. I would add the actual cost of them plus a little for shipping it or gas money for going to get it.

kendi25 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 15

Yes, it is a kit,
It is an 11x15 cake carved to make the shape. She said that she wanted it to feed only 20 people. But I was still thinking to have the cake stand on some kind of cake at the buttom. I was thinking that the way that the cake is cupposed to be carved she would have a 6" tall by 7" wide as the base cake and a 4" tall by 3" wide where the upper princess is standing.
Well, I was asking, cause the kit alone cost 23.00 with shipping. She does want buttercream, and she wants the dec as is - which is no problem.

I like the idea of making the stacked square cakes, I am sure it would look better and be easier.

THANKS A LOT!!

Final price should be? And, just to let you all know, I am a scratch baker if that helps with pricing.... icon_biggrin.gif

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 15

Our local grocery store sells this exact cake for $49.99. It is not from scratch. I live by Cleveland if that helps.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 15

I would require her to bring me the kit, or charge her $34.50 for it. Then an 8" square cake, which serves 20 + a 6" square cake which serves 12 is about the smallest you can do. She's just going to have to buy more cake than she needs to get the look she wants. I'd be at about $143.50 including the kit.

Servings based on 1.5" X 2" by height.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #12 of 15

Remember that you need to charge for the number of servings a cake is designed to feed and not only the number of servings the client asks for. A preson make want a cake for 10 but pick a design that will feed 70.. they pay for all 70 servings.. not only the 10 they need.

If you use an 11x15 sheet cake to make this cake.. that will feed 30. I would charge my BC price of $4/serving and add the price of the kit onto that. icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 15

Looks like a good size cake in the photo. Also, the kit stuff looks like a lot if you had to put it on a scaled down cake. How many is this supposed to feed as is? The cake alone looks pretty simple so I'd say charge what you charge for the cake and add on the cost of the kit.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15

$125.00-$135.00 thumbs_up.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 15

I would charge $5.00/ slice plus the cost of the kit. This is a great deal of time and work.

The grocery stores are actually using their bakeries to bring people in... so, they are usually barely breaking even. They work on a one to two percent margin of profit, according to my local grocery manager of a huge chain... they buy everything pre-made as their workers are usually not skilled, but trainable. He told me that the cakes are frozen, the icing comes out of a can, and it takes a couple of minutes to put a cake together. Some even come in at Kroger's already iced... the only preparation work is to defrost the cakes and put them out for the customers to see.

I still feel one should not buy a wedding or birthday cake where they sell hemorrhoid cream, drain cleaner, and dog food. It is just not right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%