My Business Is Finally Starting To Move

Baking By spsjj Updated 22 May 2008 , 6:06pm by yankeegal

spsjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spsjj Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 10

Well..I have had a couple orders of paying customers. My first paying customer is this weekend. 3 dozen cookies. I am still doing a few showers for free for friends to get my name out there. Thanks for the encouragement. Its also great therapy Thanks cookie friends

9 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 10

It will pick up. I think it's good to start slow. You don't want to get slammed and then get burned out before you even get started! Don't forget to put a little label on the back (if you are doing packaged cookie favors) with your contact info. I use the small return address labels and it fits my business name, website, and phone number.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 10

Good for you! I agree. I have only done one cookie order and it was 110 decorated cookies. I give you guys soooooooo much credit for doing this regularly. I am happy for you that you enjoy it! That's the important thing and it will show in your work!

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 10

Its good to start slow as MichelleM77 said.... during my initial times i sent out samples for abt 6 months, just to get noticed....

All the best!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 10

Congratulations! It's fun when you start to get some paying orders. Mine seem to be at a standstill right now. icon_cry.gif I think if I want this to pick up and have some kind of consistency, I need to do a little marketing. Word of mouth has kept me in a pretty tight little circle so far, but that might change. Time will tell.

I am very happy for you and hope the momentum keeps up. icon_biggrin.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 10

way to go icon_biggrin.gif isn't it great when things get going? june i feel is going to be very busy for me-lots of school events happening (i've been asked to auction but paid-for 2 not including my own kids) i'm gonna start dreaming cakes and cookies...too late-thanks antonia lol! definately label your work-i use those adress labels too and they are just the perfect size icon_lol.gif before you know it you won't be doing freebies for long thumbs_up.gif

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 10

I am so happy for you! Doesn't it feel good?! MichellesArt, I decorate cakes all night long in my sleep! icon_lol.gif

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 10

I'm going to jump in here with my first post! I'm pretty new to CC and was SO excited to find all of you cookie decorators - with all of your talent and wisdom! Wow! I wish I had found you a year and a half ago when I first started decorating cookies. But I still have so much to learn about ingredients and techniques - so Thank You!
I've also been doing business through word of mouth and by handing out a lot of freebies. Any other suggestions about how to get exposure? The business side of all this isn't my strongest point.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 10

I remember the excitement of finding CC, too! I was amazed at how beautiful a cookie could be. I became obsessed right away, and still love designing and decorating cookies. I can't help too much with the marketing question SweeDreams, because I don't sell. However, to get noticed I'd recommend having your cookies seen by as many women as possible. Schools, churches, hospitals. It may mean more freebies just to introduce yourself, but where there are women, there are future clients!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 10

Welcome SweetDreamAT! I love this site too-there are so many talented people here!

I agree with the above suggestions. When I first started, I donated to everything-I used it as a way to get samples for pictures as well.
Schools, bank, the doctor's office, etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%