18 Year Old Client Wants Yellow Cake...what Exactly Is That?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 23 May 2008 , 3:37am by leily

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 36

Ok, I have an 18 year old client ordering her birthday cake....not a clue why Mom is not doing it since she had to OK the price with her but anyway.....she wants yellow cake. I offer a white, french vanilla and pound cake.

I tried asking her what kind of yellow cake she was thinking of and her response was something like this "Well, ya know, like.......yelllow. It's yellow cake. Yeah.......really yellow." (insert simultaneous hair twirling, gum chewing and eye rolling here icon_lol.gif )

What in the world do I do? Is a french vanilla cake considered yellow? I think the pound cake may be a bit too heavy......cripes. Any help is appreciated.

Forgot to say I looked for a recipe but although most had good reviews, they all had alot of people say they were dry or tasted like cornbread icon_sad.gif

35 replies
illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:05am
post #2 of 36

Hi!
I have a great "golden" cake recipe. Will pm it to you
n

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 36

How is your french vanilla made? To me, a yellow cake uses the whole egg as opposed to just the whites with white cake.

Toba Garrett's Moist Yellow cake is pretty good.

Swift Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swift Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #4 of 36

Here is the recipe for yellow cake:

Essential Yellow Cake
by Patricia Swift

This recipe makes two 10X2- inch round cake layers.

3 3/4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups whole milk, at room temperature

1-Preheat the oven to 350o. Spray two 10x2-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray, line with parchment, then give the parchment a quick spray as well.
2-Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3-Beat the butter using the flat beater attachment until soft and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar gradually and beat until very ligth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl once or twice, and then beat in vanilla.
4-Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition, allowing each egg to be absorbed before continuing. Add the flour mixture in 4 additions, alternately with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture and beat briefly until smooth on low-medium speed after each addition.
5-Divide the batter evenly between the pans and smooth the tops with offset spatula. Bake for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick shows a few moist crumbs. The cake will be tinged with ligth golden brown around the edges and top and will have begun to come away from the sides of the pan.
6-Cool on racks in pans for 5 minutes Unmold directly onto racks, peel off the parchment, and allow cakes to cool completely. Place on cardboard and double-wrap in plastic wrap; store at room temperature if assembling within 24 hours.Patricia Swift

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #5 of 36

this is where the default doctored box mix comes in---some people do like yellow cake--baffles me-its my mom's fave--with choc. bc icing.

hmph...

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #6 of 36

Buy her a yellow cake mix... icon_wink.gif I think I'd go with the "white" and color it some.

Yellow cake isn't really vanilla flavored, at least not in my experience. I prefer a yellow cake with a fudge filling and chocolate icing, but I'm not as much of a fan of white or vanilla cake iced and filled the same... I think it's a milder, butterier flavor than just plain "white"... Hope that helps! Someone will probably have a better idea, but I'll bump it up for you!

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:09am
post #7 of 36

She may just be referring to the "butter yellow" box mix....

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:10am
post #8 of 36

My daughter loves the Pillsbury yellow cake mix. I'm sure there are some other good recipes around here on CC.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #9 of 36

The butter yellow cake in the WBH is yummy yummy!!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:12am
post #10 of 36

Maybe she meant a butter cake? icon_confused.gif That's the only cake one of my BFF's will eat. She had no idea that there are a lot of cakes that bake up yellow...all she could tell me was that the cake she loved was yellow. Finally she said it was really buttery too.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:15am
post #11 of 36

I think when they are saying "yellow cake", they are referring to a standard butter cake where the yolks remain vs. a white cake using whites only.

There is a very nice yellow cake in the CC recipe section called "David's Yellow Cake". I've made it twice now and it is very good. It has a very nice, rich flavor, great texture - and all yolks so definitely yellow!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:21am
post #12 of 36

Yellow cake is buttery. I thought everybody knew what butter cake was...i am so naive! LOL! It is sweet and is used with BUTTER, that is why it yellow-that is why it might be dry-butter bakes then dries in cakes (as opposed to oil which bakes up more moist). It is used (BOXED MIX) in cornbread to sweeten it up. It is NOT cornbread, but definatley will sweeten cornbread batter up. Here...go to the store by a yellow box mix-EVEN IF YOU ARE A SCRATCH BAKER! (LOL!) and just try it with your family so you can see what it is and what the coloring is and the texture...etc. GOOD LUCK! THIS CAKE IS DELISH WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING! MY FAVE!

Amia Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #13 of 36

I've had other cakes come out yellow that did not include any butter (and I don't mean lemon icon_lol.gif)...I thought the egg yolks made the batter yellow too? icon_confused.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:38am
post #14 of 36

Oh sure those yolks are always yellowing the batter, but really since most cakes have yolks included it is the butter that constitutes a true Yellow cake. But Amia is right, that yolk adds to it!

Amia Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:39am
post #15 of 36

Well you learn something new every day. thumbs_up.gif I was under the impression (and I'm blaming Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines) that there was yellow and then there was butter yellow...those darn cake mix boxes! icon_lol.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:41am
post #16 of 36

I dare say she is talking about a yellow (box) cake mix. There are many out there. It will just say yellow on the box and the picture of the cake will be yellow. I would follow the WASC recipe and use the yellow box mixes instead of the white. Subsitute butter extract instead of the almond extract or use cream bouquet flavor in place of the almond extract. Sounds like a winner to me. I'll have to try my own suggestion! icon_razz.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:47am
post #17 of 36

...one more thing there is a gal who just posted a cake under round wedding cakes her name is mandm78. She says the bottom of her wedding cake is yellow with lemon filling. I think she used a yellow cake mix to. PM her and ask. thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:31am
post #18 of 36

Yellow cake = egg yolks
White cake= egg whites

I would ask her what her fav flavor is, and go that way with a basic yellow butter cake. I think it's cool that her Mom is letting her order it. Ya have to know either how to order cake, or make one. Life is tough you better know how to do one, or the other. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #19 of 36

Yellow cake is my vanilla cake I don't use mixes. I've never made a white cake, what does that taste like? The yellow comes from butter and eggyolks, nothing artificial in my cakes, you even see some vanilla seeds, but they are microscopically small. That one sells like hot cakes. Beautiful with orange flavoured buttercream, or choc buttercream or or or, YUM

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Well you learn something new every day. thumbs_up.gif I was under the impression (and I'm blaming Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines) that there was yellow and then there was butter yellow...those darn cake mix boxes! icon_lol.gif

You are correct - there is a yellow cake mix and there is a golden butter cake mix (both by DH). Boxed yellow cake mix has its own unique flavor that is not solely imparted by just adding egg yolks to white cake mix.

I am pretty sure she wants what she's probably grown up with - DH classic yellow cake. That's all my mom will eat....and that's okay. icon_smile.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #21 of 36

I'm thinking Mom is a "BOX" mix baker, and their yellow cake is just as stated..... YELLOW cake mix..... not BUTTER.........the picture on the box is YELLOW.. usually with chocolate frosting.......If that is what she is expecting, I wouldn't disappoint her by messing around trying to "come up" with something.....

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:14pm
post #22 of 36

my kids fav cake..

butter yellow cake with confectioners icing

Baaa humbug..

I grew up on the bundt yellow cake.. I ALWAYS wanted something different LOL

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #23 of 36

The cake mix doctor has a great recipe for 'Butter Cake' -- check that out if you have the book.

I agree with the previous poster -- a yellow cake must contain some butter and all of the egg to be considered yellow. Yellow cake should taste buttery and be more light than a typical white cake. And yes DH has the best yellow cake mix. I find that the classic yellow holds up better for decorating than the golden butter -- but both taste well -- especially if you doctor them up!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #24 of 36

Hi, there are 2 "gold" cakes in the CC recipes, I'm wanting to try the 1st one soon:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7015-0-BEST-GOLD-CAKE.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1223-1-Gold-Cake.html

Report back if you use either of these...best of luck!!

Tanja

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:53pm
post #25 of 36

I recently made the DH Yellow cake mix, added sour cream and an extra egg, along with the usual package of Dream Whip...it was very tasty and held up well with my fondant covering (the hat in my photos.) I like its flavor a lot better than plain white.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #26 of 36

sounds like she's had nothing but box mixes. they have yellow cake mixes. icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycupcake

this is where the default doctored box mix comes in---some people do like yellow cake--baffles me-its my mom's fave--with choc. bc icing.

hmph...

so funny.......I just had someone order an entre full sheet 108 servings ALL YELLOW!!! lol

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #28 of 36

I actually think the yellow tastes more homemade then the rest of the boxed flavors

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #29 of 36

My mom's picnic cake was almost always yellow cake, chocolate frosting...brings back all sorts of wonderful memories of BBQs and camping trips when I was a kid. My mom was a box mix kind of baker...and it all tasted good to us kids!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #30 of 36

Yellow cake is butter cake! And I'd take it anyday with chocolate icing. I greatly prefer it to white cake and it just edges out chocolate cake. It's soooo good.

One other thing... when I was 18 (and still to this day) I ask for white cake (vanilla), chocolate cake, or yellow cake (butter). I didn't even associate yellow cake with a butter until a couple of years ago.

I go by colors and most people will too. She probably just wants a butter cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%