My Well Is Dry...really Dry...

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 23 May 2008 , 10:48am by KeltoKel

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #1 of 10

Help! I have a 12 inch heart cake with a green four leaf clover on it (star tipped). That is all I have. I don't know what else I should do.

This is a birthday cake intended for 3 people - a 92 year old lady, a 41 year old man, and some other person the lady asked me to add to the cake. With all the names, I told her I would write the message on the cake board.

In any case, she wanted something Irish. I told her some ideas, and she wanted a clover in a heart. Well, the cake is the heart and now I have a medium sized clover inside of it. This cake needs something more! Flowers? But where?

Oh yeah, she also wants some color - besides just green! I told her I could probably work some orange into the cake.

I have been staring at this cake and just can't figure out what else I should do. Roses with clover? That doesn't seem to go together for me!

HELP!

9 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #2 of 10

Instead of doing roses, why not just dosmall drop flowers in several different colors around the base of the cake? That way the top could have the clover like she wants and maybe you could put the names in each "petal", but it would still have some color to it.

KeltoKel Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:59am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for your help. I have a question - do drop flowers have to be made with royal icing?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 10

no, you can do drop flowers with bc

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 10

What about writing each person's name on a leaf, in orange, and on the fourth leaf you can pipe Happy Birthday?

Don't know how much that helps, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 10

Here is a link to an Irish cake I love,
the border is really pretty!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1213598

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 10

No...they don't have to be made w/ RI. I have done petal flowers w/ buttercream using tip 102, 103 or 104. I've also just made drop flowers using a shell border tip, goes quick & easy and you can pipe those directly on the spot where you want them. For the petal flowers out of buttercream, I just make them on a flower nail w/ waxed paper and then freeze them for a few minutes. Plop them down on the bottom border and you're set to go.

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 10

Do you have a border? I'm new to cake decorating and I think a border is the best way to add color when your out of other ideas. You could do and orange border, and put green stars on the sides. I also think the Idea of writing names and "Happy Birthday" in Orange on the leaves.

Merry

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #9 of 10

I am needing a visual person here...is there a way you can upload the picture into the thread for us to see...I just can't picture thing....I am nutty like that...but once I see it I may be able to help too...

KeltoKel Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:48am
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone for your help! I had an A-HA moment and decided to do a basketweave border and go the elegant route. I had planned on more shamrocks or flowers on the cake, but I thought leaving it simple was the best. Needless to say, the lady told me it came out nicer than she ever expected. The cake is the shamrock cake in my photos.

Thanks so much everyone for your help and inspiration!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%