Will This Cake Topple?

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 24 May 2008 , 5:41am by CakeMommie

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 10

I'm planning to make a popcorn tub/bucket cake. The problem is, it needs to feed 60 people. I was thinking, two layers of 10 inch on top, then two layers of 9 inch, then two layers of 8 inch on bottom, then I'll carve a bit to get a tapered "bucket" shape. Do you think that's too tall?? TIA!!

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 10

on the right -- Your design (8,9,10)

on the left -- alternate design based on just 9 & 10 (3 of each) and for squatter tub drop of either a 9 or a 10

black ovals = cake plates

black lines = support dowels (just like any tiered cake -- including the center support one)

HTH
LL

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 10

I have made champagne buckets at work with the same set up Doug illustrated above and they work out great.

Kate714 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 10

Doug - As always, you come through!! Thank you so much!! I can always picture it better when I can actually see it somewhere other than in my head icon_lol.gif

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 10

I have done a few tall cakes...Wine bottles...etc......as a matter of fact I'm working on a stack of tea cups right now....... anyhow I kind of live out in the middle of nowhere so any trip with a cake is a long one......
I am so paranoid these cakes are going to fall I always use a wooden cake board with a thick wooden dowell screwed into the center......... It can take some menuvering to build the cake but let me tell you the piece of mind I have when it's in transit makes it all worth it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kate714 Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 10

I'd love to see that stack of tea cups!! That sounds really cool. do you mean you use a wooden cake board as a circle? icon_confused.gif

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 10

Yes....I use a wooden cake board...covered of course...I drill a hole in it and I use a 3/4" wooden dowel that I cut to size and screw into the bottom of the board.......... it can be tricky to build the cake because each cake that is stacked has it's own cardboard (which has a hole cut in it for the dowel to go thru) Then I lower each cake/layer over the dowel......sometimes I frost them first and sometimes I frost them after...It just depends!
Anyhow it's extra work but well worth the effort to me to make sure my cakes make it safely to their destination!

I finished the Tea Cup cake last night.....I would have liked to make the cups fancier, however they were supposed to resemble the Cups for the Tea Cup ride at Disney Land....the decorations aren't exact but I did my best........
In my opinion this cake is NOT on the list of my best work...... I am kind of disappointed with it....Oh well I will do better next time.
LL

Kate714 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #8 of 10

Are you kidding me?? icon_surprised.gif That cake is Amazing!!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:52am
post #9 of 10

Oh my gosh You Take The Cake, I'm gonna' have to go over there and shake you to wake you up. icon_lol.gif Your cake is fabulous!!!!

CakeMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommie Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:41am
post #10 of 10

My Cinderella cake (see my pictures) was that exact combination of cake sizes and I needed to feed about 60 people. It was very little carving and we had a whole lot of cake left over. Just put a dowel through the center of all tiers and stack as normal and you should be fine. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%