How Do I Make This Cake?

Decorating By cassman Updated 22 May 2008 , 11:46pm by KrisD13

cassman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassman Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1223274

I have never used fondat before. I know it has to be colored and rolled out but I really have no clue.

I will make the cake and frost it with butter cream I guess? Then what? Tell me like I am 2 because I really have no idea.

How do I do the bows? DO I let them get hard and then put them on? How do I attach them? Is this cake hard?

6 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 7

NO THIS CAKE IS NOT HARD.
FIRST YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE A "BUTT LOAD" OF MARSHMALLOW FONDANT. THEN ADD CAKE ICING COLORING TO IT TO GET ALL THE DIFFERENT COLORS YOU WANT. JUST KEEP KNEADING THE COLOR AND ADD AS YOU NEED TO GET THE BRIGHT COLORS. THE CIRCLES ARE SO EASY WITH ROUND COOKIE CUTTERS. THE BOWS TO ME LOOK LIKE LOOPS AND NOT ACTUALLY BOWS, SO I WOULD ROLL OUT THE FONDANT CUT INTO STRIP THE SIZE OF THE LOOP DESIRED, AND THEN MAKE SURE YOU USE LOTS OF CORNSTARCH TO KEEP FROM STICKING AND DRAPE THE LOOPS OVER SODA CANS OR WHATEVER YOU HAVE DUSTED WITH CORNSTARCH IN THE RIGHT SIZE. FONDANT TO ME WAS EASY TO USE AND LEARN. YOU WILL WANT TO GET A PAIR OF FOOD SAFE PLASTIC GLOVES BECAUSE THE COLORING WILL BE EVERYWHERE. OH AND YOUR HANDS ARE GOING TO BE VERY SORE KNEADING THAT MANY DIFFERENT COLORS.
YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THE LOOPS 2 OR 3 DAYS EARLY AND LET THEM HARDEN A BIT. ATTACH TO CAKE WITH ROYAL ICING I THINK.
THE DOTS WILL STICK WITH A LITTLE WATER.

cassman Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 7

Anyone else have any tips?

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 7

I make my loops over a broom stick with saran wrap. I wrap the stick first then fold strips over and pinch together. Make alot and usually by the next day they are dry enough to take off and let dry on their sides. I do this so the insides that were against the stick can dry too. When you are ready to put together, start at bottom and make a layer of loops. I use melted white chocolate bark to attached my loops, drys fast too. Then go to the next layer of loops. Its pretty easy once you start you figure out what look you are wanting. Hope I made sense. Good Luck.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 7

I just saw this helpful link posted here today. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582750.html

If you need more specific help just post again. I'd be happy to walk you through making MMF or covering the cake, if you can't find the answers you need on previous posts. Or you can PM me.

HTH! ~Mindy

cassman Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks. I have a bit of time before I need to make the cake but I am getting ready.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 7

MMF on its own will not dry enough to make those loops stable. You will either need to mix in some Gum Tex, or make up some gumpaste and mix it 50/50 with the fondant. Then you will have a dry bow to work with and it won't droop.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%