Kid Cake Flavors

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 22 May 2008 , 11:49pm by ceshell

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 32

Just wanting to ask what kind of cake flavors/ cake/filling combos you guys use that are popular w/ kids.

I've heard PB & J is pretty popular, but how do you go about doing it? Do you make a PB cake & do a jelly filling or mix preserves/jelly w/ buttercream? If you've done this what's your most popular filling?

As for a cookie's 'n cream do you use a white or chocolate cake & do you just mix in crushed cookies w/ the buttercream?

My mind is just wondering.

31 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 32

Go dig around in the recipe section...it's Fun! icon_biggrin.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 32

The #1 kid flavor in my realm of influence? Lemon. Both my nieces and their friends at school can't get enough of it. The only thing wierd about it tho is they want (nay, DEMAND) that it have chocolate icing. Lemon chocolate is not my first choice, but they love it! icon_confused.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 32

I find that with my students, vanilla is the number one choice in cake and ice cream. They do love funky colors and sprinkly bits!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 32

I have made bubble gum and Strawberry...Rainbow is popular also.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 32

A favorite for sure with my customers is choc cake with cookies & cream bc filling. They love it! I prefer the original c & c filling, but it's perishable, and I won't put that in a child's cake.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 32

Alot of kids ask for chocolate cake with peanut butter filling.. kinda like a big ole pb cup icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #8 of 32

Yummymummy, do you just crush oreo's & put them in buttercream? What is "original" c&c?

I would look in the recipes but I'm terrible to make combos that are out of the ordinary. I usually do a cake w/ a fruit filling & that's about as out on the limb as my brain goes.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:19am
post #9 of 32

Unfortunately my niece and nephews don't think it's cake unless it's chocolate icon_confused.gif

Although I did a chocolate cake with the crushed oreo's in the buttercream for the filling and it was a hit!

Our friend's 9 yr. old son requested strawberry cake and really liked it. I think marble cake would do well also.

Nanc

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:24am
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have made bubble gum and Strawberry...Rainbow is popular also.

How do you do your rainbow cake? Do you color the batter in small bowls and then combine?
Looked for directions but couldn't find a good explanation.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:38am
post #11 of 32

Love this thread! I thought the main "kid flavor" was simply: sugar. LOL. Keep those ideas coming. The lemon one totally floors me!! So good to know icon_smile.gif.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:45am
post #12 of 32

That lemon caught me off guard too! My dd loves lemon cake, but like I said I stick to basic fillings b/c I'm afraid to venture out.

I've had strawberry & raspberry loved by adults, but just did a basic buttercream. What filling would go good w/ it? I know chocolate would but what would you use? Ganache (would that be too rich?) or can you flavor buttercream w/ like a chocolate syrup w/out having to make a chocolate buttercream?

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #13 of 32

Here's a link (hopefully) to instructions and a picture of Rainbow cake by MacsMom. Can't wait to try it! It looks so festive.

In the comments section under the picture of the same cake in her photo gallery she has instructions also which might be a little different, I can't remember.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=585413&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:32am
post #14 of 32

Personally I wouldn't waste a ganache on kids, unless it's a big cake meant to be enjoyed by a greater # of adults than kids (in which case I say: kids will like anything, why not make a cake that the adults will appreciate. Oh, um, nevermind that it's the kids' BIRTHDAY ROTFL.) I could swear I've seen a choc bc recipe here in the recipes section that uses chocolate syrup. There's definitely one that uses a jar of hot fudge, look up "chocolate fudge icing."

There is also a really good fudge frosting recipe that uses only evaporated milk, unsweetened chocolate and sugar...it's all over the internet if you google those ingredients.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:06am
post #15 of 32

Choc PB is definately a hit around here with the kids.

They also really liked German Choc, even though they say they don't like coconut, they ate it up and were surprised to find out it was coconut.

I did a butter cake with lemon pommegranate BC filling for mother's day and they didn't touch it. I think they were like "what is this stuff, it's not brown, I think there's something wrong with the chocolate cake, it's yellow and pink"

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:40am
post #16 of 32

Thanks Kimblyd for the link!

Kim

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 32

You are very welcome rrmom-um Kim. icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #18 of 32

Aside from chocolate which is a no-fail kid favorite, yellow cake is too. I make ALOT of yellow cake for kids' birthday cakes. You pretty much have to keep it simple for most kids. Vanilla or pound would be close behind yellow.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #19 of 32

Hmmm, thinking back to my childhood days I always wanted chocolate. Chocolate everything (I recall my mom would always want to make non-chocolate desserts, like fruit, and I would complain) I really preferred tradiational stuff. No crazy flavors. Just chocolate, with plain BC or chocolate BC, and I was happy. Yellow cake was a close 2nd. White was probably my least fave.

Now, I have a cousin who hates chocolate. icon_confused.gif Obviously, she's in the minority!

dandelion56602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #20 of 32

I've thought about with a white cake making a chocolate buttercream filling and throwing in some crushed m&m's. I just know kids usually like "candy" too. And I wouldn't have to deal with them icon_smile.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 32

I have no kids - but my nephews love my banana cake. You can use either chocolate frosting, peanut butter frosting...or BOTH!

Did one with a banana cream filling in the center layer and brown sugar SMBC and they devoured it.

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #22 of 32

I just did a vanilla cake with cookies and cream buttercream.. remove the middle of the oreo's and crush the cookie... it worked out great.. Bottom line .. I think they will eat anything you call cake.. lol

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #23 of 32

i would think it depends on the kid.
icon_confused.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i would think it depends on the kid.
icon_confused.gif

I agree b/c I have an anal retentive nephew who "detests" cake, but for the most part I do think when kids see cake it's icon_eek.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #25 of 32

I just did a cake for a 5 year old. All she wanted was for it to be princessy and magical and the cake to be vanilla with raspberry filling.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #26 of 32

kids in my area love the Creme Brulee flavoring and the White almond sour cream recipe on here.... My children didn't eat the cake before just the icing, but when I started making my white cake with creme brulee creamer in it, they love it... they can't get enough, in fact that is what they got for their birthday cakes this year!

CHuffmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHuffmyer Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:31pm
post #27 of 32

My kids love ANY cake, but they really like the WASC cake recipe on here and I usually just fill it with buttercream and sprinkle a few of the tiny chocolate chips in with it. It gives it a little hint of chocolate and a little crunch....they love it.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #28 of 32

I read this somewhere here. Someone crushed up whoppers and added malt mix to buttercream for a filling. I'm doing that this weekend for my brother's birthday cake (6 kids will be eating it). It sounds fantastic to me so thanks to whomever mentioned it.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #29 of 32

These little Dutch kids are so deprived...at my daughter's birthday party I served chocolate cake w/7 minute frosting...out of 6 kids, only my daughter and another kid would eat "the brown cake". It didn't help matters that the ice cream was half vanilla-half chocolate - and God help us if their vanilla had even a smudge of 'brown'.

My little half American kid wants her chocolate cake, though - good thing, too, I don't want her passport being revoked - hahaha!! icon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #30 of 32

homemade-goodies that is a riot.... I don't know if it would phase my little cake eaters a bit about chocolate, but it definitely would me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%