Help !!! How Do I Get A True Black

Decorating By Evone Updated 22 May 2008 , 4:49pm by diane

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 9

I have been spraying my fondant black but it always looks drk green when it dries. How do I get a true black? Does anyone know how to get a true black when spraying a cake? Thanks everyone.

8 replies
fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 9

Hi I just did one with KopyKake brand airbrush color. When you say spray I am assuming you mean airbrush right? What brand are you using?

Mine came out fine. How how many coats are you putting on there?
LL

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 9

start with grey fondant?

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 9

I too am using kopykake coloring... I always get a green tings to it. I do a light spray and then about three more coats. I do start with gray color first I have no idea what goes wrong. I have even painted with a brush directly on the fondant with the same results.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:58am
post #5 of 9

I am wondering if you got a bad black. I bought KopyKake flowpaste that was supposed to be black and it was RED!. Now if you are desperate and you are trying to fix it, I would just get Wilton's Black Paste and just paint it on there mixed with a tiny bit of vodka. You know, also i experimenteda little bit with mixing a little bit of vodka with color gel and airbrushed it and it came out ok. Test it out on a test piece of fondant tho.

Also are you shaking your paint alot before you are pouring it into the airburusher? Pour out a little bit on a piece of paper and use a brush to paint. If it is still the same problem, then i would say its your color and not you. If it is black on the paper, i would do more of a heavier spray and see if that helps. Before you do it on your cake, try it on a test piece.

Good Luck!!!!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:19am
post #6 of 9

Man, I cheat and use Satin Ice black fondant so I have never had this problem. I will watch the thread to see your solution though as I want to buy a Airbrush System and want any tips I can get! Good luck to you hon!! (((HUGS)))

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:43am
post #7 of 9

You can use the chocolate marshmallows made by kraft (the big ones) to make marshmallow fondant. Then add black gel coloring to darken it to a dark gray. After it dries for about 24 hrs it goes black. I've also used the ready to spray cans of color by wilton. As long as it's a small area they work pretty good, especially if you spray it over dark brown fondant.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:53am
post #8 of 9

I mix Wilton black coloring with vodka and paint it also. I've never had a problem with my CAKES looking green unless I let the color sit out too long... I know the color turns green if left out, but if I paint it on RIGHT AFTER I MIX IT, I've never had it fade.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 9

you can start with either grey or brown fondant. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%