Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By jenndc04 Updated 26 May 2008 , 2:44am by tonimarie

jenndc04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndc04 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 5

Okay making a cake for my fiance's sister's baby shower. This is my first cake. However, I did a trail cake a few weeks ago and it turned out ok.
1. Using MMfondant and did have trouble after I rolled it out getting it onto the cake. Was very sticky and was even sticking to "nonstick" rolling pin and "nonstick" Wilton cake thing that tells the diameter.
2. Need idea for the topper. Its a boy and I am doing a 6 inch and 8 inch round. Using Blue and Brown MMFondant and using ribbon that coordinates with the colors around bottom of cakes.
Any help would be great!! Thanks!!

4 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 5

If your MMF is too sticky, try kneading in some extra powdered sugar, that usually helps. Also, make sure after you make your MMF that you let it rest overnight - giving it time to rest makes it easier to work with.

For the topper, since you're using ribbons, what about a giant MMF or gumpaste bow with blue and brown loops? I love bow toppers, I think that would be cute.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 5

How about a baby blanket and booties. I love baby shower cakes, so much you can do with it.

sistersorefeet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistersorefeet Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 5

OK, I know cake styles are very different here, but here is one that I did for my niece.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #5 of 5

I have a cake in my pics that I just did for a baby shower in brown/blue. I made a teddy bear as a topper and a baby blanket. It turned out really cute.

I would suggest using cornstarch under your fondant as you roll it out and some on top so it doesn't stick. I found a thread somewhere that suggested filling a new pantyhose stocking with cornstarch to use when rolling. Then you just pat it on the rolling mat before you start and on top of the fondant as you roll it out. It works great; then you don't get to much cornstarch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%