Can I Use Fondant Decorations On Whipped Cream Icing?

Decorating By winepedler Updated 21 May 2008 , 3:37pm by DianeLM

winepedler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winepedler Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 2

I have just discovered Cake Central and it has definatley reawakened my cake decorating imagination!!! I have been doing cakes for 15+ years, but haven't had a great deal of time to do them the last few years since I started a very time consuming job. I think I have also become complacent doing the same designs I have always used. Now looking at Cake Central gallery I am excited about trying new designs and techniques.
I have only used fondant once a few years ago for my daughters wedding cake. It turned out beautiful, but I was so dissappointed with how it dried out the cake. (I used a killer chocolate cake recipe with chocolate icing)
Ok, so get to the question Carol!!
I have never been a fan of buttercream, so I have always used either Pastry Pride or Bettercream whipped cream icing for my cakes. In the gallery I saw several adorable cake designs where they iced the cake with buttercream, and decorated with cute fondant & or gumpast accents. Can you still use these with whipped cream icing or would it negatively affect the fondant or gumpaste in some way? I am planning a cake for my daughter's baby shower and would hate to find out the hard way that it doesn't work.
Thanks in advance for your help.

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 2

Noooo! Here's what happens when you put fondant decos on whipped cream icing. Those blobs started out as stripes and polka dots. By the next day, they were puddles at the base of the cake. My customer thought it was very exotic and insisted on paying for it even though I was willing to give her the cake for free.

The other decos are chocolate transfers. The writing is buttercream.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%