Crisis!!! Sisters Wedding Cake On A Hot Day!!

Decorating By simplysweet72740 Updated 21 May 2008 , 4:15pm by dillonsmimi

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 4

Ok my sister is getting married on may the 31st. The forcast is it's suppose to be hot, I am her maid of honor, plus I am doing her cake. Its a 5 tiered square cake with pink ribbon, diamond impressions with pearls, and scrolls. I want it to be perfect. Problem is though how am I going to set it up before the wedding? I have always just set them up during the wedding so now I am at a loss and have no clue what to do. The wedding is outside so I can't do it before right?? Please someone help me I am stressing horribly over it. Thanks in Advance!!!

3 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 4

I have done cakes in the hot July weather here in Texas and it can be done. Your frosting needs to be all shortening. I kept it cool as long as possible and set out a about an hour before wedding. It did fine, but make sure it is the shade also. Maybe others have some ideas. Good luck.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

I think the main thing is to chill it well in advance and make sure there is no butter/cream cheese/whipped cream in the icing. Seems like the all shortening idea of previous poster is gold icon_smile.gif. Other than fondant, which seems to hold up better in the heat.

But if you use butter based frostings under fondant, won't those melt and then the fondant could slip around? icon_rolleyes.gif

dillonsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillonsmimi Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 4

I made a buttercream frosted wedding cake to be delivered on a fairly hot and humid day . They had my table next to a window that caught the afternoon sun. The reception was at a beachfront pavilion near Galveston, Texas. I relied heavily on sweetex but also used some really flavorful imported butter (so I could use less). The icing did slide a bit...but you could only tell because the ribbons were a tiny bit droopy. Thank goodness the photographer shot those pix first. The bride and her parents were totally in love with the icing flavor and did not mind in the least paying xtra for the more expensive ingredients after I explained the nature of BC on a warm day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%