Sliding Cake-Help!

Decorating By wendydou Updated 21 May 2008 , 9:51pm by wendydou

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:31am
post #1 of 5

I made a wonder mold cake and placed it on top of a 6" round (to make a Boohbah if you have any idea what they are! not too many know about them! but it looked like a giant mushroom). I put two dowels right thru both cakes to hold into place. I frosted the whole thing ( I made two of them, only happening to one of them) and I made a RCK Head which I left an inch of dowel on top to secure the head on with. the head is sliding and it looks almost like the body is too. can a cake still slide even when doweled? it's not hot in my house and it's not all that humid yet... the woman is coming this after noon to pick them up .. some of the frosting is separating around the head too because of the movement...

any ideas??

Wendy

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 5

they can definitely slide even if they're doweled........honestly I'd probably pop another dowel into the thing.......it's harder for it to shift if you have the two dowels working against eachother.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

I would put it in the fridge...

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 5

I hope the wondermold is on a cardboard, then you have a cardboard under the round base cake, THEN dowel it to the board, the rigid cardboard support will pull it together, definetly refrigerate. If the cake is sitting in her house overnight (the customer) it might fall apart on her. I went to a Collette Peters class recently and people kept askin her about problems they were having doweling and she said people turn there cake into swiss cheese with them and that cake cant support itself against the dowel it just kind of cuts the cakes if it is a weight issue. I LOVE BOOHBAH! PBS rocks! LOL! THey are cute and I can envision your cute cakes. If the party is tonight keep the cake refrigerated till pick-up and that'll help the frosting to lock up. If it is tomorow, can she pick up the good one and you deliver the problem child to her in the morning after you fix it?? I HOPE THIS IS ANY HELP! GOOD LUCK!

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 5

the cakes were picked up today.. I propped the one that looked like it was sliding up so it stayed put.. I told her not to hit any bumps when she's driving to the party!

photobucket site is giving trouble so once I get them posted then you can see them.

Thanks for all the help
Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%