I Am Getting A Backbone (Long)

Decorating By Mac Updated 21 May 2008 , 6:08pm by Mac

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #1 of 13

Since I now rent a commercial kitchen for my business, I am amazed to find that I have gotten a backbone when it comes to prices.

Had made a topsy-turvy cake for a lady and told her that I was guesstimating on the price when ordered. The cake took more time and construction than I thought but gave it to for the price quoted. Told her that if anyone wanted to order that cake, it would be higher.

Fast forward to now (2 months later), same customer called and ordered same cake. Told customer the CORRECT price on cake and she started questioning me why she couldn't get it for the same price. Reminded her that I had told her that style/particular cake would be higher due to time and difficulty. Proceeded to tell me that she was ordering for a friend and that friend actually wanted 2 of these cakes but not at my price. Told her. "I understand but it is what it is." Customer ordered 1 cake anyway.

The next day another customer called to order a different TT cake, gave her my price. She asked if there was any way to get the price cheaper. Told her "no" b/c of the degree of difficulty and time needed for a TT cake. Customer ordered cake anyway.

My--that backbone feels good!

12 replies
just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #2 of 13

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Way to go!!!

saphie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saphie Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 13

Congratulations! I guess there is hope for me then. I always feel funny about charging people, especially friends. After running a home business for a year now I figure it's either get a backbone or bust! You have given me the encouragement I need. Thanks!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 13

Way to gooooo!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #5 of 13

Good for you! thumbs_up.gif Your cakes are beautiful!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:26am
post #6 of 13

You wear it well, Mac! judge.gificon_biggrin.gif Good for you!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #7 of 13

Woohoo!!!!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:58am
post #8 of 13

Mac you have made us all very proud thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif. Stay strong and stand your ground.
Faye

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 13

Where did you find it, I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 13

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Now don't lose it!! icon_wink.gif

Isn't it funny how when we invest in ourselves (your rented kitchen space) we take ourselves more seriously and so do others.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 13

can i order one of those..i think after this weekend i'm gonna need it (large cookie order, extremely cheap price-mostly cuz it's a hubbie favour and i'm looking at the free advertising i'm getting out of it) no more cheaping out!! thanks for sharing the encouragement!!

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 13

I definitely need to find one of those icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #13 of 13

Ya know, I just woke up and there it was. I suspect it's been there all along but just had trouble finding it... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%