Airbrush...neccesity Or Novelty?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 4:49am by jenny518

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #31 of 35

Airbrushes are one of those things that you think I dont really need one, but when you get one, you wonder how you lived without it!

I also use my airbrush all the time, I agree, it is great for dark fondant cakes and great for sculpted cakes. I also airbrush vodka on all my fondant cakes when they are done..it cleans them up and brings out the color.

I use a professional iwata airbrush..they are a little more then you kopykakes or whatever brand that is. I had one of those and it went into the trash very quickly. it was like a 10 PSI or something airbrush. Just not enough power. Sputtered and made a huge mess. Big waste of money. I use the bakerycraft airbrush colors and sometimes kromacolor, depending on the colors I am using.

Make sure you invest in a good one, and go to a good art store and ask for a demostration if you can, if you have never used one before. Make sure you have a vapor barrier and mine has a auto shutoff which is WONDERFUL!!!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #32 of 35

I used to use a big compressor from the garage.. but it was too hard to regulate the pressure. Not to mention TOO LOUD! I broke down and got a KopyCake compressor and I'm so glad i did. It was worth it.

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #33 of 35

What is a preval sprayer and where do you get one?

tarisca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarisca Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #34 of 35

I received a central pneumatice brand airbrush and compressor kit for Mother's Day 08. It only cost $100 for everything. I recently used it about 2 weekends ago. Once I started, I couldn't stop! The convenience and affect it brings to your cakes, are just time consuming and beautiful. I was sooo exicted! I went to Harbor Freight Hardware the store my kit came from, to purchase a kit that consisted of 6 color coded guns and a stand for $120. It is well worth it.

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:49am
post #35 of 35

I have to throw my 2 cents worth in. You CAN use your garage air compressor- just get a good regulator. It works just fine....
I guess the problem is the large size, noise, etc, but it will at least let you figure out if you like it before investing the $ on a smaller compressor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%