Where Has All The Common Sense Gone To?

Decorating By Alice1230 Updated 22 May 2008 , 5:36pm by sueco

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 23

So this lady called me about a bridal shower cake she wanted me to make for an office party. She has ordered a cake from me before...a bassinet cake for twins (in my pics) for which I charged her $50. When I told her the price she was completely surprized and excited because she thought it would cost a lot more. I told her that she had asked for a cake to serve 25 people, so at $2 a serving it was $50.

So anyways she calls me about this bridal shower cake for 40 people. It was a buttercream sheetcake with a bouquet (similar to the wilton best wishes cake) and she wanted tons of roses, about 100 to 150. I said no problem and then she asked me what the price was. I told her $80. Well she freaked, and not in a good way. After a long drawn out and frankly quite rude conversation she cancelled the order.

My thought is where was her common sense? She said her budget was $50 for the cake, but she ordered on twice as big as the previous on which she paid $50 for. Wouldn't you think that it would cost more b/c it was bigger? Did she think all my cakes cost $50?!?!?!?!

Any thoughts? Sorry so long...needed to vent icon_confused.gif

22 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 23

common sense isn't all that common! *shaking head* I'm wondering if it ever was... icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 23

Stupid people shouldn't breed. (sorry, I'm just in that kind of mood tonight)

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 23

icon_confused.gif
someone failed mathematics.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #5 of 23

Because people go math-dumb when it comes to food! All she knows is that she got a cake from you for fifty bucks .... so this one is twice as big! Gosh, THAT shouldn't make a price difference, should it?? icon_confused.gif

And even tho' I dont' charge extra for design elements, I think I WOULD tack on an extra fee for over 100 BC roses.

luvtocreate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvtocreate Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #6 of 23

people would make life easier if they brought all the cards to the table from the beginning. The aggravation could have been avoided if she would have said that she only had a 50.00 budget.

Getting upset because you are charging what you deserve (and you weren't even charging extra for the flowers) is ridiculous.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #7 of 23

People do not know how much work is involved and with the price of supplies going up. The price we charge will have to increase.

Scox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scox Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #8 of 23

I'm new on here but I had to reply to this topic. These people are the same ones that think the cakes you make should be the same price as walmart. Someone once told me that they didn't want to buy a cake from Walmart because it was $30 and wanted me to make a cake the EXACT same as walmart for cheaper. icon_confused.gif If I wanted to make walmart cakes I would be working there!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 23

I've gotten to the point where I have almost always started asking what is your budget. Saves me and them both time.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #10 of 23

Common sense went out the door, what happens is that people think cake is cake , no biggy icon_mad.gif , what are they thinking icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:46am
post #11 of 23

I had the exact same thing happen. I had a woman order a cake that looked like a large cupcake. It only served 30 and it was all BC. So, I only charged $60. A couple months later she orders a 2 tier cake. She wanted superheroes on it and a city scape in the background. So, the buildings were fondant standing on the side of the cake and the 4 superheroes were sugar cookies with edible images on it (Kinda based on a Wilton Cake). It served 60. I was more than generous and gave her a price of $130. (I got an enormous amount of referrals from her, so I thought I was giving her a good price). Her husband about flipped. And she wasn't too happy about it either. I just flat out told her to go ask another decorator/bakery to do the same design for any less. She wouldn't find anyone. She had me do the cake anyway.
Some people really have no clue how much time goes into these cakes.

Think about it - when people go to a restaurant and order a specialty meal or order something custom made, do they haggle with the price? No! They pay up without any question. So why should we, being decorators making custom designs, lower our prices for them. I'm now at a point where if they don't like what I charge, I just politely tell them to find someone else to do it.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #12 of 23

common what??

Alice1230 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 23

So the lady called me back. I didn't answer... she left a message that said the price was OUTRAGEOUS and that her office has decided to get a store bought cake, but that she would call me in the future.

I really feel like calling her back now and telling her that I can't compete with Wal-Mart prices but then again I don't serve cakes frozen for upteen weeks either. I know thats unprofessional, but shes pushing my buttons.

I don't think $80 is outrageous. In fact if it was anyone else I might have charged extra for all those roses, but she had already bought a cake from me a couple of weeks ago and I felt like she would keep coming back.

Why would she call me in the future?! I'm not going to drop my prices, especially now when every ingredient of cakes has skyrocketed in the grocery store.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 23

If she finds your prices so outrageous, why will she call you again for future orders? Maybe she think you'll learn your lesson and lower them icon_lol.gif Some people puzzle me to no end.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 23

Yeah, this lady's goofy!

Personally, since she left you a VM - I would just leave it. If she had sent you an email, I would respond something along the lines of, "It's unfortunate we could work together on this cake, but no worries. I understand that sometimes that party budgets just won't allow a custom cake."

THEN, IF calls in the future, tell her right off the bat, "I know there was some confusion last time over price. So, just to let know, currently my prices are $xx per slice."

msmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmith Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 23

I taught a "cake decorating for dummies" after work last week. I taught them how to ice a cake, how to fill a cake and how to make roses...the girls were all amazed a how easy it all looked, but how hard it was for them to do it. It may have been the best thing I've done, because now these gals understand why cakes cost what they cost!!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 23

Or, if you're feeling really snippy (like me...), you could say,

"I've actually had to reassess costs and raise my prices recently, so it's probably better for you to go ahead and order your cake at WM," implying in a nice way that she probably can't afford you anyway...heh heh. icon_twisted.gif

(BTW, I'd $140.00 for 40 servings ALONE. The 100-150 BC roses would be charged separately.)

It's not common sense. My DH calls it "yanking" when people do that: They (in a nice way) threaten to take their business somewhere else, hoping that you'll freak out and cave in and say "Oh yes, I'll do it for $50. Just don't cancel the order." ...so we always "yank" back and tell them (in a nice way) to please, by all means, do go somewhere else. lol

The only difference is that, when they change their mind and want to come back, we're conveniently booked for their date, any date. icon_cool.gif

Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 23

Common sense? Is that something you're supposed to have?! icon_confused.gif

I think its awful that we have to keep coming back to this topic. People just have no clue. I think you are being generous in offering her a cake that's going to feed twice the amount of people for that price. Not to mention 100-150 buttercream roses.

Don't reply to her message. Its not worth it. When she calls for a "future" order make sure you increase your price. Then tell her that custom work calls for custom pricing.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

So the lady called me back. I didn't answer... she left a message that said the price was OUTRAGEOUS and that her office has decided to get a store bought cake, but that she would call me in the future.

I really feel like calling her back now and telling her that I can't compete with Wal-Mart prices but then again I don't serve cakes frozen for upteen weeks either. I know thats unprofessional, but shes pushing my buttons.

I don't think $80 is outrageous. In fact if it was anyone else I might have charged extra for all those roses, but she had already bought a cake from me a couple of weeks ago and I felt like she would keep coming back.

Why would she call me in the future?! I'm not going to drop my prices, especially now when every ingredient of cakes has skyrocketed in the grocery store.

Oh no, no, no...do not call her back is pointless...you don't need THAT kind of customers, trust me.

People who expect my cakes to cost same as Walmart's are not the people who I want to concentrate my energy, time and money in.
They are not the right people for me and I'm just not the right person for them.

Yes, I'm a cake snob.

Scox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scox Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Yeah, this lady's goofy!

Personally, since she left you a VM - I would just leave it. If she had sent you an email, I would respond something along the lines of, "It's unfortunate we could work together on this cake, but no worries. I understand that sometimes that party budgets just won't allow a custom cake."

THEN, IF calls in the future, tell her right off the bat, "I know there was some confusion last time over price. So, just to let know, currently my prices are $xx per slice."

That probably might work, but what if she wants a small cake with a lot if roses again or something else that takes a lot of time?

Alice1230 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #21 of 23

If only we could come up with a great way to screen our customers.....!!!!!!!

Alice1230 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #22 of 23

Oh and don't worry, I was never going to call her back...I was just venting! Need to do that sometimes ya know?

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #23 of 23

I sometimes think that common sense has walked hand-in-hand with good manners off into the sunset because it's getting harder and harder to find people with one, let alone both, of those things. People seem to be getting more clueless by the minute. *Sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%