Can Someone Help Me With A Gumpaste Figure?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 20 May 2008 , 9:30pm by LisaR64

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 6

I can't seem to get him how I wanted. He keeps sinking into himself. How do I keep him sitting up without having him sink into himself? Should I start all over? He is still pretty soft up top. Also, I don't think his face looks like what I want. Any hints there? I don't know how to get an image right on this screen, so I will attach it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Danielle
LL

5 replies
Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 6

I'm no expert but can you put a toothpick in him? Either way, he's ADORABLE!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 6

maybe you should have done the bottom(legs) first and let it dry, then do the top. this way the bottom would be more stable. icon_wink.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 6

first, i think he's freakin' adorable! maybe make his middle more pudgy & rounded some, therefore more stable and maybe make his legs separate from the torso

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 6

I think that he is really cute! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

When I do figures, sitting like yours, I make everything upto the neck. To make it stable I always insert a dry speghetti. A bit of speghetti should come above the neck. Then I make the head and insert it to the speghetti. If you want to get an idea how to do the face, here is the link to aine2's " How to make a face " in her blog.

http://www.lorraine-icingonthecake.co.uk/masterclass/face-howto.htm

HTH. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 6

One trick I learned from clay modeling books is to create "underwear" first, which basically means you roll some gumpaste into the approximate shape of your character's torso, and then you let that dry for a day or so. Then you create gumpaste clothes and accessories and "dress" your character. This method worked really well for me when I made the figures in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%