What Would You Charge?

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 23 May 2008 , 5:07pm by SweetConfectionsChef

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 15

I got an e-mail from a woman today that wants me to do a Transformer's cake for her son's Birthday. This is the FIRST time someone has contacted me to do a cake (for money) that I'm actually available. I've had to turn down two opportunities already. icon_sad.gif

She wants a cake to feed 60. Wants it to be butter cream. And the theme is Transformers.

I thought a FBCT would be the best way to go for this. Now... having all that in mind, what would you charge?

Is $1.50/slice reasonable or is that too inexpensive or what?

Thanks,
Stacey

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 15

It is not legal to reproduce and sell licensed characters.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 15

You cannot sell licensed cakes to the public, I wouldnt do it for anything.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 15

If you choose to sell the cake anyway icon_smile.gif I wouldn't do it for less than $2 a serving. HTH

Cyndi

CakeInfatuation Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 15

I didn't know that. With all the cakes I've seen on this site that people have done (to fill orders), I assumed it was okay. How are all these people getting away with it?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 15

most of the licensed character cakes are for family and are NOT paid orders......at least that's the case with mine....I don't sell licensed character images EVER!! other people DO get away with it...but I wouldn't chance it personally. I always tell people..nope....I've done a "mermaid" cake that I airbrushed the mermaid and they wanted Arielle but they had to settle for a generic mermaid with blonde hair cuz I wasn't doin it!!!

Scox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scox Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 15

How does someone get permission to make a cake out of licensed characters?

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 15

They sell character pans for you to use, not look at!
Unless you think this person is the character pan or picture police, I would do it!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyanddayne

They sell character pans for you to use, not look at!
Unless you think this person is the character pan or picture police, I would do it!

The character pans state "for home use only". I've read of CCr's getting letters from Disney threatening legal action if they don't stop selling cakes with their images. So don't think it can't happen icon_wink.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scox

How does someone get permission to make a cake out of licensed characters?

You have purchase the right to do it, and it's BIG bucks!

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 15

Although you can't legally make a "transformer" cake, can't you make a cake that matches the themeing and then have a transformer topper of some kind? Like a transformer toy on top? Am I wrong in thinking that is acceptable.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromedaslove

Although you can't legally make a "transformer" cake, can't you make a cake that matches the themeing and then have a transformer topper of some kind? Like a transformer toy on top? Am I wrong in thinking that is acceptable.

yes, you're right. I'm not sure if you can supply the topper yourself though, that would be considered selling it too I would think.

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

yes, you're right. I'm not sure if you can supply the topper yourself though, that would be considered selling it too I would think.

You know what I believe you're right. That would only make sense.

Maybe you could talk to the Mom about supplying the topper and you could do an awesome cake the fit the theme?!

Dana

CakeInfatuation Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks guys. Smart idea. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromedaslove

You can definately supply the plastic topper, you just can't make the image yourself. Once the you buy the licensed character you've paid the royalities to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%