Help! My Aunt Cant Make My Wedding Cake And No Money Left

Decorating By shandidandi Updated 22 May 2008 , 2:52pm by CarolAnn

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #31 of 76

I forgot to mention that I am making her Mom's wedding cake in September. You can better believe there will be no discount on that one. It will be interesting if she still wants me to after all of this.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #32 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAB

All great ideas. But what about a fellow CC'r lending a hand if there's one in her area? Just a thought.

Are you crazy? Why the heck would someone make a free cake for someone they don't know? Do you know just a few months ago someone got suckered on here by giving free homecoming or some type of dress? Do you know what the heading was? Help! My daughter is going to a dance and she doesn't have a dress! People are always getting scammed somewhere. This may not be the case, however if she is such a special niece and is so down and out, I'm positive an Aunt would make her a cake.
If she can't afford a wedding cake or the wedding just get married and not do a reception. The old saying on here, "Champagne taste on a beer budget."
I know this sounds nasty, but this sounds pretty darn fishy.
If is was someone on here that we knew pretty well then by all means I would certainly be there, but this is not one of those cases.

because sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

Ever had a wedding? They get a lot more expensive than you think, and once you're OUT of money for it (Not necessarily down and out, but just broke until after the wedding), there's no wiggle room. Especially if your budget was made with the free cake from a relative in mind. Suddenly needing to find several hundred dollars for a cake that you hadn't planned on would tax most of us. I don't blame her at all for panicking, or for turning to a cake decorator's forum for advice on how to make this situation right.

I don't recall her asking anyone of us to do it (I could be wrong)... she just wanted ideas because she's in a bind. Also, once you've paid out everything to the point where you no longer have any left for emergencies, that is NOT the time to say, "Oh, well, we'll just do the JOP thing and forget all the money we've already spent...". That's not a helpful answer to the issue. Coming up with alternate plans for her that she can carry off herself... that's helpful. icon_smile.gif

And she never said the aunt WOULDN'T make it for her... she said that the aunt CAN'T. That suggests a sudden, unforeseeable problem, and believe me, those crop up at the last minute.

I officiate weddings from time to time, and they're almost always for couples where their usual minister has had a family or personal emergency at the last minute. I can't tell you how many I've been called for with less than 48 hours to prepare, meet the couple, plan the ceremony, etc. Stuff happens, and sometimes when you can least afford for it to. Yes, people can be scamming you, but you can't live your life not helping where you can, simply because you don't want to be taken advantage of. Wisdom is knowing the difference, and sometimes even the wisest folks get taken in.

But what a horrible place the world would be if we all refused to help simply because we didn't want to get scammed.

ditto ditto ditto! you said it perfectly. thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAB

All great ideas. But what about a fellow CC'r lending a hand if there's one in her area? Just a thought.

Are you crazy? Why the heck would someone make a free cake for someone they don't know? Do you know just a few months ago someone got suckered on here by giving free homecoming or some type of dress? Do you know what the heading was? Help! My daughter is going to a dance and she doesn't have a dress! People are always getting scammed somewhere. This may not be the case, however if she is such a special niece and is so down and out, I'm positive an Aunt would make her a cake.
If she can't afford a wedding cake or the wedding just get married and not do a reception. The old saying on here, "Champagne taste on a beer budget."
I know this sounds nasty, but this sounds pretty darn fishy.
If is was someone on here that we knew pretty well then by all means I would certainly be there, but this is not one of those cases.

How does this sound any "fishier" than anyone else asking for help on how to use fondant, freeze cakes, etc? She's not asking for someone to make her a cake.

How can you be so positive that her aunt would make her cake based on how special she is or isn't? She never even gave the reason as to why her aunt can't make it and frankly, it's not our business unless she chooses to share it. If others choose to come to her aid, great for them. I'd be more than grateful for any help kind strangers were willing to give.

Who makes a cake for someone they don't know? I have. For charity.

To the bride: Good luck! I do hope that you can come up with something that works for you. The cupcakes is a good idea and they are much easier to decorate. If you don't have time to make the flowers, this is a good site that's decent on price:

http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/copyright.aspx

Deetmar - you are a GREAT mother. I don't have a daughter but I am one. icon_lol.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:26pm
post #34 of 76

Twin Falls, Idaho perhaps?

If so, if you want to drive to Boise, I'll help you out.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #35 of 76

remember, you can always do a simple design for the cake and buy the gumpaste or fondant flowers. there are many sites on the web that sell them. icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

remember, you can always do a simple design for the cake and buy the gumpaste or fondant flowers. there are many sites on the web that sell them. icon_wink.gif

Good point! I totally forgot about buying gumpaste flowers online. There is one seller on eBay who sells them for so cheap, I am beginning to wonder why I even bother making them! icon_smile.gif Considering it takes me an hour for each rose, lol.......perhaps I need to work a bit faster? icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #37 of 76

I was going to recommend the same site for gumpaste flowers. As far as fondant is concerned, unless you make it yourself it is a bit pricey. If you can't create a super smooth buttercream finish do a rough coat. with gumpaste flowers. I have seen a couple of cakes done like that and they were quite attractive.

Deetmar- If the young woman broke off the engagement, she is supposed to return the ring - if he did, she keeps it. I'm not going to feel sorry for your son. He may not realize it now, but it sounds like he has had a very lucky break even if it costs him the price of the ring. The ex sounds like a real twit. It also sounds like you need to help the twit pack and move on.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #38 of 76

Seriously Deetmar.. u need to have her stuff in boxes by the door one day when she comes home.. where does she get off wanting to live in your house after breaking if off with your son... and i totally agree with Narie... if she broke it off she should give the ring back... its only right.. and to the girl who needs the cake... WHERE EVER YOU ARE.... if you are near miami, broward, florida... we can get together and make your wedding cake... i made my own wedding cake... it can be done.... send me a pm....

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #39 of 76

You guys will never know how much lighter you have made my life today . It is so glad to smile through the tears. Thanks for the support.

BTW, my new boxes came today. I will be glad to empty the cartons and put them in her room with a roll of duct tape.

pinklesley1 Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:04am
post #40 of 76

TRUE... with a note.. please kindly consider these boxes a gift from me to u... to use as you depart my home, please leave the cellphone and the ring....

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

TRUE... with a note.. please kindly consider these boxes a gift from me to u... to use as you depart my home, please leave the cellphone and the ring....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You should do that!

pinklesley1 Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #42 of 76

and dont let the door hit you on the way out....

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #43 of 76

I feel bad that the OP just got criticized for asking questions all of us ask on here all the time. She wasn't asking anyone to make her cake for free, so to insinuate she could be a scammer is pretty rude.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #44 of 76

I know that this sounds a little crazy but I am wanting more pictures because I am getting ready to open a bakery in the next year. I would love to make your cake for you if you would just cover the cost to make it and come pick it up. I know that it isn't a quick drive, but you could maybe have someone else come and pick it up the day before. I am about 3 hours away from you. Go ahead and look at my photos on here my screen name is dellboi2u. I could also give you references from customers that have had me do their cakes. I obviously would like to contact you on the phone and email just because I really would prefer not to be scammed. Let me know if you are interested, I wouldn't mind making a cake as long as the costs are covered.
Sincerely,
Rachel Donnell

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #45 of 76

I sure do hate to hear that i so bad but everthing will work out please dont stress out the cake dummie is a great Ideal, and the cupcakes, also you can buy those flowers already made little pricie. you will have a gorgeous wedding.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #46 of 76

Deetmar, good etiquette dictates that when the woman breaks off the engagement, she is obligated to return the ring. I'd tackle her, smear some buttercream on her finger and yank it off!

And, BTW, if she doesn't want to marry your son, as hurt as he is now he'll thank her some day. Remember, the best revenge is happiness!! Give him a big hug for me.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #47 of 76

There is also a Great Falls in Montana, wish the OP would come back and tell us where she is.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:30am
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Deetmar, good etiquette dictates that when the woman breaks off the engagement, she is obligated to return the ring. I'd tackle her, smear some buttercream on her finger and yank it off!

You are so crazy... obiviously this girl doesn't have good etiquette!

deetmar, I'll come help you pack her stuff. Especially if you live in a warm area. icon_lol.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

I was going to recommend the same site for gumpaste flowers. As far as fondant is concerned, unless you make it yourself it is a bit pricey. If you can't create a super smooth buttercream finish do a rough coat. with gumpaste flowers. I have seen a couple of cakes done like that and they were quite attractive.

Deetmar- If the young woman broke off the engagement, she is supposed to return the ring - if he did, she keeps it. I'm not going to feel sorry for your son. He may not realize it now, but it sounds like he has had a very lucky break even if it costs him the price of the ring. The ex sounds like a real twit. It also sounds like you need to help the twit pack and move on.

I was just thinking it was good she decided this before the wedding and not after they were married and, Lord forbid, they had kids. I'm for helping her pack - don't wait ... tonight sounds good to me. icon_smile.gif Surely she's got someone else she can leech off of for a while till she gets on her own feet. Besides, you helping her pack will ensure she's not putting anything else in her boxes she feels entitled to. As far as my daughter is concerned .... she's too young. Sorry! We tell her she won't be allowed to date until after she's married! icon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:28am
post #50 of 76

twooten173, you're right. I guess the good etiquette notion is a bad premise for someone who thinks she can keep living in your house after she breaks up with your son, but I still like my "tackle her..." idea. : )

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellboi2u

I know that this sounds a little crazy but I am wanting more pictures because I am getting ready to open a bakery in the next year. I would love to make your cake for you if you would just cover the cost to make it and come pick it up. I know that it isn't a quick drive, but you could maybe have someone else come and pick it up the day before. I am about 3 hours away from you. Go ahead and look at my photos on here my screen name is dellboi2u. I could also give you references from customers that have had me do their cakes. I obviously would like to contact you on the phone and email just because I really would prefer not to be scammed. Let me know if you are interested, I wouldn't mind making a cake as long as the costs are covered.
Sincerely,
Rachel Donnell

It doesn't sound crazy at all, it is actually a very kind and selfless thing for you to do! thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:24pm
post #52 of 76

Holy Crap julzs71! Are you for real? You REALLY must have trust issues girl - lighten UP!! And what is wrong asking CCers if they have a dress lying around for her daughter to wear to a dance? You have NEVER given any old clothes to Goodwill? Probably not. Wow - I hope life starts to treat you better, cause you sound like you are in a world of hurt right now.

dellboi2u - you Rock!

For OP - I say go round not square, fondant is not that bad to buy - one large bucket from Global Sugar Arts will run you under $60 with shipping right now I think - and DEFINITLY BUY THE FLOWERS! Buy the gumpaste flowers online - bake your cakes on Monday, freeze them - frost and fondant them on Wednesday and put the flowers on them, then you will have the rest of the week to deal with the rest of the wedding stuff. Don't make the fondant yourself unless you have done it before and worked with it before. I have found it too unpredictable and you will have to make too much and will be in too much of a time crunch. It can be done - good luck and get back to us with what you are going to do!

shandidandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shandidandi Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #53 of 76

I would like to thank all of you guys for the tips and ideas. icon_smile.gif I just was not sure if i would be able to make my own wedding cake without knowing how to use the fondant. Can you get the same diamond effect with using buttercream? Is there one that is not too sweet? I have used buttercream before but the family likes the whipped kind. I did make a three tier cake when I was in cula arts, and i turned out really nice. Thats when i started trying to make gumpaste flowers. I need the pratice anyway but I know it will be overwhelming if I do a tiered cake. icon_eek.gif Maybe I'll have to look into the dummy or cake idea.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandidandi

I would like to thank all of you guys for the tips and ideas. icon_smile.gif I just was not sure if i would be able to make my own wedding cake without knowing how to use the fondant. Can you get the same diamond effect with using buttercream? Is there one that is not too sweet? I have used buttercream before but the family likes the whipped kind. I did make a three tier cake when I was in cula arts, and i turned out really nice. Thats when i started trying to make gumpaste flowers. I need the pratice anyway but I know it will be overwhelming if I do a tiered cake. icon_eek.gif Maybe I'll have to look into the dummy or cake idea.

Yes you can get the diamond effect on BC but you will need to have a crusting BC to do so. Whipped won't work. When it's nice and dry, you can use an impression mat to run over the BC. They sell those online also. That could be really simple for you and then you could add some flowers and a border.

To knock out some of the sweetness in my BC, I dissolve some salt in the liquid I am using. I usually put half/half in mine but I'll substitute one tbsp. for warm water so I can dissolve the salt in that. There are many recipes out there....test some out to see what you like. Just make sure it's one that will crust if you want to use an impression mat.

A dummy cake is still a good idea!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #55 of 76

When is the wedding? I still think the dummy cake is a good idea. it's a lot easier to change things if they don't come out the way you thought they would. Heck you can start over as often you like.

Anyway, Deetmar, I agree that you are way better off finding out how she feels now rather than after the wedding. A couple reasons why your son can't marry my daughter-she's only 12, can't date until after she's married (Stole that from another post and will keep it-thanks for the idea!) and finally....

If your son marries another caker you will have to fight for "Caking rights" Not just the wedding cake, but grandchildren's b-days, Holidays etc...

I'll help you get her packed tho'. It's not a good idea for her to be hangin' around now. And she better leave the ring and his stuff alone! What does your son want her to do?

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #56 of 76

I was going to suggest doing the cupcakes and make a small 6" cake in the design you want with the diamond impression as the topper for a cupcake tree. It would be less work design-wise I would think. Just my suggestion. I think it would look nice especially if you are on a time crunch.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #57 of 76

Whew! Just got all the way through this post...I want to say good luck to both of you!

One on your wedding cake....and the other on getting that girl OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! (She should be ashamed of herself for wanting to keep the ring. That's against every "unspoken" rule in the book!)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:08pm
post #58 of 76

I think Julz just had a bad day like we all do sometimes... it was harsh but maybe just a mood ... anywho I hope someone can help you. I think cupcakes are all the rage in weddings right now... with a cute little 6 inch on top?

((((((((hugs)))))))

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #59 of 76

I wasn't trying to be rude, however it sure is a rude statement. Sorry! I do still stand firm on the basis of my statements.
Now don't get me wrong. I have my fair share of giving to others. I help out at a food shelter. I clothe the poor children. I try to always have a sandwich and fruit for the homeless lady down the street. I also raise 2 children that are not my husbands or mine. I do give to people.
Now the OP did not ask for a free cake, someone suggested it.
I tried going back and looking on this site for the dress forum. It must have been erased during the crash. The dress was from a woman that had gotten on and stole everyones pictures and posted them as her own. Then she changed screen names and asked What she could do for her daughter to get a dress. Three people sent her dresses and never received Thank You's and then asked for gifts for Christmas.
Some people like to take advantage of others. There are so many nice people on here, and I may be over cautious of being taken advantage of. I would most certainly help someone on here I know if they really needed help.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #60 of 76

I really hope you manage to sort out the cake shandidandi, there have been some great offers of help & a lot of good advice, sorry I can't help, I am too far away, but I also wouldn't hesitate if I was close to you. Deetmar you get that young lady out as fast as possible, your son can be very thankful & someone better will come along. Hugs to you both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%