Cake Tasting

Decorating By Chrisi Updated 21 May 2008 , 12:36am by indydebi

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a cake tasting next week, and have a question. For those of you who do this.....how do you do it?

are the cakes in a mini cup cake form?
do you make up a whole recipe of that flavor of cake?
do you charge for this tasting?

My customer is wanting to taste my three chocolate, 2 vanilla, and my carrot flavors. Is the a way to make these recipes in small portions with the same taste? I have charged her $50 for this tasting. If she chooses to go with me as the decorator the 50 will go to her total charge. If not it goes to my pocket. That is fare right?

Any pointer would be wonderful.

Thanks

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 4

I have never charged for a tasting and don't ever plan to.

I give them 1-3 choices of flavors, depending on how many are expected at the reception.

I limit the choices of flavors to those I know I will have on hand - white, almond white, strawbewrry, lemon and orange, all made from white cake batter. And chocolate, chocoalte raspberry and chocolate almond, all made from chocolate cake batter. Lots of flavor choices, but onloy two cake batters.

If I had charged $50, I'd definitely feel compelled to make cakes - perhaps a single layer, torted 6" of each flavor.

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 4

Ok I goofed on the charge part. But as for the flavors go....I do this out of my home, not pro by any means. She is a friend of a friend. Did I give her too many choices? Out of my home.....I don't have cake "on hand", I have ingredients on hand.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I have never charged for a tasting and don't ever plan to.

I give them 1-3 choices of flavors, depending on how many are expected at the reception.

I limit the choices of flavors to those I know I will have on hand - white, almond white, strawbewrry, lemon and orange, all made from white cake batter. And chocolate, chocoalte raspberry and chocolate almond, all made from chocolate cake batter. Lots of flavor choices, but onloy two cake batters.

If I had charged $50, I'd definitely feel compelled to make cakes - perhaps a single layer, torted 6" of each flavor.

same here.

Even tho' I have a shop, I dont' have cakes on hand ... only ingredients. I dont' make cakes ahead on spec ... made to order only.

Here's another recent thread on the subject of sampling appts: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587351.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%