Question About "slice Of Cake" Cake

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 31 May 2008 , 8:09am by Homemade-Goodies

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 9

I read on here to make the 'slice of cake" cake, to take a regular cake round, and cut it into quarters and then fill and stack.

I did this once before and had some issues.
First issue is 4 layers is pretty tall? Is this what everyone typically does?
2nd, the narrow tip was really unstable? Is there a trick to supporting that narrow corner part? I ended up rigging it the first time but that was for family. This is not.

Just a note, it's going to be small, it's a 6 inch cake, cut in quarters and stacked. Any and all advice welcome

Cristy

8 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:44am
post #2 of 9

Well since no one responded to my post, I'll reply to my ownicon_smile.gif I could not find a way to stabilize my slice cake so I turned it on it's side. Worked beautifully and much more stable for someone to pick up and transport.

This one is very simple for a male birthday and much less stress than an upright slice cake. So I have a new plan. Do slices laying down.
LL

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 9

You came up with a great solution! I am of no help to you as I have never done the 'slice of cake". I just wanted to say "ya done good" from the pic!

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 9

I agree. It looks nice!

sillywabbitz Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much. I've learned so much from all of you and love this forum and thought I should at least share in case anyone else was struggling.

I really love this look but literally wanted to cry icon_cry.gif everytime I did them standing up because they fell down. I will probably do many of these now because I think they're a cute simple alternative for a cake for one or 2 people. This is a 6 inch cake, cut into quarters, stacked and filled the quarters, then laid on it's side to decorate.

One thing I'm learning is not to give people too many options icon_razz.gif I like my cupcake bouquets with mini cupcakes because they don't fall off as much, I like my slice cakes sideways because they're more stable . So to reduce my stress as a for fun baker, I just figure I'll only offer them my way icon_biggrin.gif

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 9

Great idea. I have not made one yet but I will be making one in August. I will use your suggestion. Thanks for sharing with us.

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 9

Great solution to your problem! It looks great! Sorry I couldn't help you. I really want to try one, just haven't had a reason. Just wanted to tell you great job! icon_smile.gif

sugarhigh384 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhigh384 Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:55am
post #8 of 9

Great job!! thumbs_up.gif I think I confused myself when reading your topic cuz I thought you were talking about the "slice of cake" cakes that have the piece taken out and put on top of the whole cake. This one( the one you chose to do) is really cute and it is the first time I personally have seen a cake done like this, and I am on here a lot. Love it!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:09am
post #9 of 9

First time I've seen this style as well...also thinking it was the cake clice up on top type. This is such a wonderful idea! I'm trying to sell the whole 'just something yummy for the weekend' kind of cakes too...this is perfect! Great solution for the stability problem - thanks for coming back with your result!

Cheers!

~Tanja

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%