Questions About Pre-School Thank You Cake

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 20 May 2008 , 3:46pm by diane

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 3

I plan to make a cake for the teacher's at my boys preschool. They have a cute logo with a cross and kids sitting in chairs in front of the cross reading books. It's all inside an oval.

Would you do this as a Royal Icing Design or a FBCT? I never even knew about the butter cream transfers till I started browsing this morning. I was thinking of having it on the top tier of the cake raised up a bit. Almost like the top of a topsy turvy cake so that if you are looking at it level, you can still see it.

Also... I have never made a cake with different size stacks before but I want an upper layer about 8" and then a bottom layer (tier) also. I have already sculpted 2 little kids I want to stick on the bottom tier. They aren't real big but I need to make sure they will fit. How big would you make the bottom tier (stack?) of the cake?

If you need to see the kids in order to respond, they are in my photos or you can see them on my blog. I only have 8" and 9" pans so whatever size I need, I will have to go buy it.

One more question. Should you always have a 2" difference between pan sizes if you are stacking cakes? Is that kind of the rule?

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 3

I'm only going to answer the last question. It depends totally onthe design you have created. In the "olden days" tiers were pretty much always 4" different. A 6" would be on top of a 10". Then about 5-7 years ago the higher end wedding cake designers started showing cakes with only a 2" difference to make a taller cake that still didn't serve a ton of people. Now the 2" difference is what you will usually see.

Me? Hey I've found that it's easier IMO to transport a cake with a 3" or 4" difference. I do a ton of 6/9/12/15 cakes.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 3

you could do it in both...but i would do it in royal icing. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%