Angel Food Wedding Cake? Help!

Decorating By Cake-Bakin-Mama Updated 20 May 2008 , 10:55am by wgoat5

Cake-Bakin-Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Bakin-Mama Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone out there made a wedding cake from angel food cake? My bride to be wants angel food cake with cream cheese icing & fresh fruit on top of the cake. She'd like a 2-tier stacked. Anyone ever done this? Tips please. I don't see how you can put dowel rods or sps system thru angel food cake. Every time I touch the cake it deflates--or gets misshapen. Need to know within the next 2-3 days. We have a cake tasting & decisions to make. Help quick! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:12am
post #2 of 6

I would think if baked in a traditional angel food pan (a tube pan) you could use one of those center rod type separator systems?

Otherwise...try to use a very sharp knife, long blade, to cut a hole for each dowel. Of course I'm guessing because I haven't done it. Good luck!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:56am
post #3 of 6

You could use one of the cake stands like the tall tier with the hole in the middle or the floating tier. That way you don't have to worry about dowels. You won't be able to make the Angel food cakes to far in advance. Probably only the day before, because they get kind of rubbery after a couple of days. Good luck to the person cutting that cake make sure they have a serrated knife. I hate cutting Angel Food cake. icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E305642-475A-BAC0-54CCA99DC6372101&fid=76ABA7E5-475A-BAC0-57D2208671F7E3CE

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:13am
post #4 of 6

Perhaps you could talk her into a couple of side cakes for the angel food......You could make them loaf cakes so that they would be easier to cut................... that is ALOT of weight she wants put on her main cake, not to mention the nightmare of cutting it. I would be afraid of it "deflating" before it was served......

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:27am
post #5 of 6

I agree with grama j. Angel food is not a cake designed to stack and dowel. Talk with the bride and explain the issues and I like the idea of a load pan cake on the side with the cream cheese and fruit.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:55am
post #6 of 6

You could stack them... but they couldn't touch.. and there could be no dowelling..

cake
flowers/ center plate system
cake
flowers/center cake system
cake

You know the dessert plate systems..

bigger on bottom and tapers to the top?

Something with that effect would work..

I am another fan of angel food cakes.. I love their taste. icon_smile.gif

Or you could do something like I do.. angel bites...

2 x 2 squares of angel food cake with a thick chocolate ganache covering them and served with a single sugared flower on top.. Such a pretty presentation icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%