Question About Food Safety....

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 19 May 2008 , 10:44pm by korkyo

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, I have been selling cupcake bouquets and using real spanish moss in the bouquet just as a real florist might use it in an arrangement. The result is fantastic! The arrangement looks really real. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about using it. Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Ashley

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 13

If it touches the cake, yes. It must be pesticide free if it touches the cake. You could check with you local health department or county extension service.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 13

I did a quick search on ask.com and while I found nothing specific one way or the other, most articles that came up indicate some level of toxicity.

Can you use artificial moss instead?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 13

having cleaned it out of any number of trees, the thought of it being by food kind of gives me the heebie jeebies. where do you get it? has it been cleaned/washed/sterilized for use on or near food? all kinds of buggies and dust and such get into it.

mom42ws Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I did a quick search on ask.com and while I found nothing specific one way or the other, most articles that came up indicate some level of toxicity.

Can you use artificial moss instead?

i guess i can. i'll just need to look for it next time i'm at the craft store. i wonder if it's more expensive or less expensive than the real stuff.

thanks for your input guys!

ashley

mom42ws Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

having cleaned it out of any number of trees, the thought of it being by food kind of gives me the heebie jeebies. where do you get it? has it been cleaned/washed/sterilized for use on or near food? all kinds of buggies and dust and such get into it.

i buy it at michael's in the floral section and it's dried. i think it's real anyway. it's just this dried stuff. here's a pic with it in it. don't know if you can tell and i don't happen to have any left with a name on the bag.
LL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 13

They're really pretty, but I really think they'd look better with some kind of brighter green silk foliage since the cupcakes are a simple bright color. KWIM? I don't know that I'd like to eat them off the spanish moss kind of thing, but that's just me, maybe I'm weird.

mom42ws Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 13

no, i guess i just never really thought about it. i was just trying to go for a more realistic look. i will definitely have to look for some alternatives.

ashley

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 13

They really ARE beautiful arrangements!

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 13

Hi- I am a Food Manager, and I do know that the Health departments today are getting a lot stricter with all of the food -bourne illnesses out there. I would shy away from it, and go to something that can not contaminate the food. Just my opinion though. Happy Baking! icon_cool.gif

mom42ws Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 13

Julie, I think I will look for something else to use. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

ashley

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 13

Ashley, I didn't mean to scare you.. icon_wink.gif but just inform you. Good Luck and I do love the look. Maybe someone at the craft store can show you something artificial with the same look. I am not a very"crafty" person so I am no help here. Haha

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 13

Around easter time I recall seeing some "paper" grass. that looked pretty good. You may check around some home decor stores for something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%