Fondant Disaster

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 19 May 2008 , 11:42am by SweetResults

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #1 of 2

Good morning everyone,

I can remember just 2 days ago telling ya'll that I had my first order for a 3D cake and for some reason I was NOT scared of it because it was just a house cake. Basically just a square/rectangle cake with roof and some fondant designs. No problem right!!! WRONG!!!

On Sat morning, I sat down and cut out or made all of my fondant designs/extras that I wanted to detail on the cake. Okay, that went well.

Sunday am I baked the cake, froze it and crust coated the cake. Rolled out the fondant, on the 3rd try I finally got it right with very little tears. I came on line to search what I was doing wrong. Found suggestions to use crisco to help put it back together.

Let that dry for awhile, then I went to airbrush it. The places that I put crisco to cover the cracks, the color of the house changed and wouldn't stay.

Off came the fondant, and now I'm going to try my hand at a smooth buttercream and repaint.

My question is this: Did I use to much crisco when I was trying to repair the cracks, or is it normal for the airbrush color not to stick where the crisco is?

Thanks

1 reply
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:42am
post #2 of 2

It will not stick where the Crisco is - you are better off using royal icing like spackle to cover any cracks. The color may still be very slightly different when you airbrush but not by much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%