My First Fondant Cake!

Decorating By hotmamatigger Updated 19 May 2008 , 7:38am by murf

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:17am
post #1 of 5

I'm making baby block cakes in a few weeks and will need to use fondant but had never done that before so today I picked up a box of the premade stuff (never again!) and made a cake!

Please take a minute to look at my cake, if you'd like larger pics, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm particularly worried about the gathering at the bottom and how to fix/hide/resolve that.

Any and all CC is welcome and much appreciated!

Elizabeth
LL

4 replies
AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:39am
post #2 of 5

Very Nice icon_smile.gif

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:04am
post #3 of 5

Good Job! thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:17am
post #4 of 5

Looks really good to me.

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:38am
post #5 of 5

Hi Elizabeth,
I think that the cake is great for your first attempt with fondant!! Here in the UK, most cakes are fondant so we use it a lot. With regard to the difficulty you are having at the bottom of the sides - the best way to do this is as follows. After rolling out the fondant to slightly larger than you need, place it on the top of the cake. Don't worry at the start how the sides fall - the best way is to have it so that the fondant lays slightly off the cake at the bottom so that it's not touching. Decide on a place to start - if there is one part that looks as if it has loads of excess fondant, start there! As I say, have the bottom of the fondant not touching the cake. Then hold the bottom of the fondant with your left hand and with your right hand slightly cupped, almost scoop the fondant onto the bottom of the cake and scoop up the cake so that it almost shrinks into it. Move around the cake repeating this all the way round. Then use a smoother/polisher to gently smooth down the sides.
Reading this back it looks much more complicated than it actually is!!! Sorry - but hope it might help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%