Neopolitan Cake Help!

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 20 May 2008 , 5:59am by jennifer7777

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi

I am doing a Baby shower cake this weekend and I am doing a neopolitan cake. 2 tier cake , 3 levels high. My tiers are going to be chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I am having trouble coming up with ideas on fillings for these layers. I am wanting to do a different filling for each level. My ideas are running low. I am needing some ideas for non refrigerated fillings.

My ideas so far are

chocolate cake with either a bavarian or peanut butter filling

vanilla cake with ganache filling

and for the strawberry cake I am thinking about a filling with fresh strawberry's. But I am not sure what filling I could use that would not have to be refrigerated.

Please help! icon_smile.gif

Thanks alot!

15 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 16

I think we are making the same cake because I'm making the same thing except I also have another cake on top that will be yellow with pineapple filling.

I've been out here looking and I think I'm going to do either lemon curd or cream cheese filling in WASC, and I haven't decided on the strawberry but I like the idea of a peanut butter filling in the chocolate. I look forward to seeing everyone's ideas.

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 16

lemon curd sounds good! hmmm, got me thinking again.

Still stumped on the strawberry layer!

Hopefully we get some replies to help us!

good luck on your cake!

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 16

Strawberry Jam and Chocolate Ganache are the traditional fillings between the layers. thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 16

I'm going to be very honest....the peanut butter filling doesn't even sound good to me when you're talking about that type of cake. Sorry.
I would have a bavarian creme with the chocolate; strawberry mousse with the vanilla; and ganache with the strawberry or something like that. But no peanut butter in my opinion.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #6 of 16

I agree peanut butter doesnt sound good,also some one could be alertgic to peanuts....vicky share the recipe to strawberry moose sound yummie have tried before....

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 16

This is the recipe I sometimes use for either a cake or just put in a fancy martini glass with a topping:

Strawberry Mousse
Ingredients:

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
2 cups hulled, sliced or chunked strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

Instructions:

Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a small saucepan; let stand I minute to soften. Stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Place strawberries, granulated sugar and gelatin mixture in a food processor or blender. Purée. Pour into a bowl. Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon about an hour.

Beat cream and confectioners' sugar in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Stir one-quarter of cream into strawberry purée to lighten mixture. Fold in remaining cream.

Spoon into fancy glasses or use as a filling in cake. Chill 2 hours if in glasses.
This doesn't have to be kept in the frig after filling in cake, but should be if left out for a long time.

Nette2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nette2007 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 16

ok..off the subject but do you have a recipe for Chocolate Mousse filling??

tracycakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 16

I assume that the mousse will need to be refrigerated and I don't have space in my fridge to put the whole cake. I wouldn't have thought peanut butter either, my a co-worker has asked to do her son's groom cake and his favorite cake is yellow cake with peanut butter filling. I personally love peanut butter plain or with jelly or bananas or in cookies. Otherwise, no peanut butter for me. I thought maybe I was the strange one because I don't like Reese's cups or peanut butter pies. I may have to stick to buttercream.

bigmama1961 Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:59am
post #10 of 16

THANK YOU VICKY...

bigmama1961 Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:08am
post #11 of 16

thanks again vicky i cant wait to try i love strawberrys and cherrys my favs...

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:29am
post #12 of 16

I have to disagree with the posters not liking the peanutbutter filling! It's awesome! One of my best combo sellers! I would ask the new mom which she prefers. That strawberry filling sounds yummy as well!

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:57am
post #13 of 16

This is a 3-layer, 5 in. high and 8. in round cake... one layer each...
Chocolate
Strawberry
Vanilla
Chocolate mousse between the choc and vanilla cakes and strawberry mousse between the vanilla and strawberry cakes... like Neapolitan ice cream LOL!

Pastry Pride icing. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1221548.html

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:30am
post #14 of 16

I've done this type of cake before, but I kept it simple...vanilla buttercream as filling. I just let the different cake flavors come through. However, I do like the idea that rmelendrez suggested...chocolate and strawberry mousses.
By the way...I charge $10 extra for this cake!

tracycakes Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #15 of 16

I ended up just using buttercream in the middle. I couldn't refrigerate so I went basic and as Jennifer7777 says, just let the flavors of the cake come through. I made sugarshack buttercream but instead of my normal butter, vanilla, and almond flavors, I just used creme bouquet and it tastes awesome! I just bought it the other day and it was my first time to try it. I went light on the flavor so it's not overpowering and I hope it all tastes good together. I had quite a time baking my cakes but no real disaster - just 1 cake pan overflowed so I need to clean my oven now. icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:59am
post #16 of 16

Way to go tracycakes!! I use creme bouqet all the time...it is great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%