Why Does It ....

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 18 May 2008 , 9:58am by wgoat5

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 10

do that? I have a problem when I frost round cakes. I did one last night, all buttercream, and this morning I looked at it and it had a bubble on the side icon_cry.gif . Any one know why this happens and how to stop it? I am desperate, I need to figure this one out.
Thanks,

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 10

did you ice it while it was frozen? The only time I've had bubbles were the 2 times I iced the cake while it was pretty frozen.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 10

How stiff is your icing and how thick to you put it on? I used to have that problem because I made my icing too stiff.

Just a thought.

Beth

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 10

that use to happen to me ALL the time - I never iced frozen cakes so I figured that there was just some air in there trying to escape so I let the cakes sit out longer to settle before I iced them and that seemed to do the trick. hope that helps

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 10

I don't freeze my cakes. The icing was pretty stiff, maybe I need to add a little more liquid. I don't usually crumb coat my cakes, would that make a difference? Also, I didn't let it settle very long; it was a two layer, 10" round, how long would be a good length to wait after stacking before icing? I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Also, someone said I might have to much air in the icing. Any tips on making buttercream, mine is all shortening, so that the air is minimized? Sorry for all the questions but I would like to solve this problem.
Thanks,
Cathy

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:06am
post #6 of 10

I've had this to happen and I think it is that the cake is not given enough time time to settle. I now let my filled cakes settle before icing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #7 of 10

I call that the icing tumor...That can happen when there's air in between the layers and it comes out bit by bit, creating the bubble effect. When you put the top layer on the bottom, make sure that you press down all over the top of the cake to force out any air that might be between them. That usually works for me, but not always. Sometimes you just miss a spot.

If a bubble develops you can usually just take a knife and puncture it, then press the icing against the cake to force the air out of the bubble. Also, when you're icing the cake with the crumb coat, make sure that you really force the icing into the space between the tiers if there's any gap. That way you'll block any spaces that could hold air. I don't freeze cakes, and I don't let them rest for very long between the time that I crumb coat and do the final layer of icing, but I don't have much trouble with the icing tumors since I've started pressing the top layer onto the bottom one really well.

I can see how it would be worse on a cake that was frozen before icing, since the layers would settle while it was thawing after it was iced, so any trapped air would be escaping too late to do anything about it. I've noticed that when a bubble develops it's usually on something that I've stacked, then after a while the air comes out of the tiers that are on the bottom and are being pressed on by the upper tiers.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:50am
post #8 of 10

blow outs kill my cake moods GRRR...

I had one form the full circle of my cake.. icon_sad.gif UGHH

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:42am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

I had one form the full circle of my cake.. UGHH

I think I'd have liked to have seen that! Was it an actual bubble or just a filling ring oozing out to make it look like a little mushroom top? TOo funny (not at the time, I'm sure...)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 9:58am
post #10 of 10

Actually was a airbubble.. I popped it all around and tried to do the best smoothing job with viva all the way around ...I had made a stiff dam like SugarShack does and let it settle over night.. I even go as far as putting a little weight on top of a large cake so it compresses the air out if there is any ...

LOL it wasn't funny at the time.. I cried.. BUT.. I watch with a good eye now to make sure one of them bad boys doesn't come back to haunt me lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%