A Cupcake Cake ?

Decorating By bambuf Updated 17 May 2008 , 1:37am by bambuf

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #1 of 5

Hey there CC friends! I am in the middle of making a Lighting McQueen Cupcake cake for a friend and was hoping for some feedback. My original thought was to ice the entire batch of cuppies (4icon_cool.gif with white buttercream and then add a Lightning FBCT. But then when I was arranging the cuppies on the board, I thought to myself..."It would be cool if I could do a checkered flag, alterning each cupcake with black and white" (especially since the cuppies are alternating chocolate and white.) Can you still add a FBCT to individually decorated cupcakes? (I thought I might just do swirl icing, instead of icing the entire thing.) Or, do you think the FBCT might droop through the cracks? Do I even make sense? Thanks!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:14am
post #2 of 5

Yes, I understand what you are asking.
I *think* it will work but not completely sure.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

not quite sure what you mean, but i'll try my best to help.
i've done several ccc's with fbct's on them. with my first, i made the mistake of not using a lot of icing and when i put the fbct on it, it did sink a little. i now ice them with a very large tip...can't remember what the number is, but it's a really big one. anyway...i find that you have to make sure before putting the fbct on the cake that it has enough icing to where there is no drooping or seeping, i guess you could say. hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif
LL

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 5

oops...that's not the one with the fbct on it...this one is.
sorry about that. icon_wink.gif
LL

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #5 of 5

thanks for the replies, ladies. I didn't think I had explained myself very well. I have done CCCs before, and have always iced the entire surface just like a regular cake, with a nice thick layer of icing. What I was wondering, (and I think you pretty much answered my question, diane) is if I chose to ice the cupcakes individually, then placing them close together if I could get away put a FBCT on top of the individually iced cuppies. I thought I could achieve a checkered flag behind Lightning McQueen by alternating the black and white cuppies.

Perhaps the safest thing to do is to just ice as usual, and then decorate with black and white squares...just means a bit more precision work.

Thanks again for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%