Help!!! Servings For 3D Flamingo Cake

Decorating By gracecakes Updated 16 May 2008 , 11:01pm by gracecakes

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I am currently doing a 3D Pink Flamingo cake for a baby shower. It is going to be a wanna be stork with a baby and all. I just used two 13x9 that I divided into 4 13x4.5 pieces and stacked with butter cream. I will then carve fondant, and use rice crispies for long neck and head.
My question is. Should i stack all four without a cardboard between first two layers and second two layers or should I just stack all four and dowel, carve, support. I need to feed 15 people.
thanks

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 3

My rule of thumb is a board and dowels every 4" of cake vertically. For a carved cake I freeze all of my layers and stack w/o filling. Then I do my carving and mark one side so when I unstack and restack I can line them all up again.

I then unstack add the filling and restack the cake with boards and dowels

HTH

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 3

OH thats good info. Thanks. I never thought of stacking then unstacking to fill. I would be afraid that they would stick and break, but I guess the freezing prevents that. The last cake i carved was the sneaker in my photos and I stacked and filled then froze. But the filling was just buttercream so no big deal damage. Um ok so no more than 4" is safest to dowel and board. Ok thank you. I am on my way. Hopefully I can post pic tomorrow. Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%