Painting Fondant????

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 17 May 2008 , 3:29pm by tchrmom

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen it, at least I think I have. I am making a cake topper for my mom's bday and am thinking it might be easier to just paint my fondant. I'm gonna cut out the numbers tonight. Do I let the fondant dry out before painting it? How do I mix the icing gel and alchohol? Is there a specific ratio that I use? Any tips is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 5

I've painted fondant quite a bit.......if you're using americolor gels you can use them directly out of the bottle and they're perfect and dry in about 5=10 min. If you're using wilton or something like that then just mix with enough alcohol or extract to make it not so clumpy!
LL
LL
LL

Trixyinaz Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! Your work is awesome! I wish I could paint like that!

Trixyinaz Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, one other thing, do you have to wait until you fondant is dry before painting it? Or once you roll it out and shape it, can you start painting it?

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 5

You might want to let it dry a little, but you really can start whenever- at least with MMF. I didn't know that Americolor could be used "as is". I do know that it takes VERY little alcohol with the coloring-- it gets too thin and pale quickly. Keep in mind to cover it if you mix it very long before painting-- the alcohol evaporates pretty fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%