Have You Seen Or Bought The New Wilton Products?

Decorating By CakeDesigns Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 1:26am by luelue1971

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 9

I know Wilton products have gotten a lot of bad rap on this website but personally I'm very appreciative of being able to puchase products I can afford and for taking their classes.

That set aside, I've seen some of their great new products and was wondering if anyone has bought them. If you have seen or bought them what do you think of them?

I got the mixer spatula and like it very much. I bought the cake lifter but have not had a chance to use it yet. It seems like a good idea though.

Here's what I've found out they have out there.

New cake pans:
Abbey from sesame street
Monkey
Dinosaur
Princess carriage
Wall-E
multiple cupcake pan - like the giant cupcake pan but with 8 cavities
pirate ship
golf bag
baby bottle
new strawberry shortcake
new Care Bears

Impression mats:
Flower impressions
grape viney leaves

Some fondant presses to make things like a leaf

Tools
Different types of spatulas
Cake lifter

8 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 9

I was excited to see their new line. It seems like they are upgrading the quality of the items....maybe now they will get around to making the fondant more edible. The mats look nice and they have even upgraded the fondant tools. Which I'm planning on purchasing with my 50% off coupon next weekend.

Judi

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 9

Several of their new items are on my wish list. I really want the impression mats, the new fondant tools, and the cake lifter. They also have a thing that looks like a bench scraper that I want. Drives DH nuts because I want it all! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 9

I bought the fondant tools last week. They're much better than the old ones and I'm very happy with them so far.

I saw one of those fondant presses out of the package, and I wasn't sure how it would work. It was cheap but I didn't buy it because it looked like one of those gadgets that would end up destined for my junk drawer.

I think maybe Wilton is going to come out with new gumpaste cutters, because they had the old set for $10.99, with the green plastic cutters and the book that hasn't changed in years icon_biggrin.gif They usually want 21.99 for that set, so maybe they're lowering the price to get it out and make room for something new.

Some of the new Wilton kitchen tools with the yellow handles are identical to the new, cheaper kitchen tools at target (plus the target ones are not yellow). I bought a 15" knife/cake lifter with a serrated edge at Target for 7.99 and also a pastry cutter with a straight wheel and a ruffled one for $3.99. Yesterday I bought a herb mincer at Target...doesn't sound like it would have anything to do with cake, does it? but it's a set of small wheels. I wanted it to cut small, even strips of fondant for stripes on the sides of cakes. It was $4.99 and it works perfectly.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

I have the cake lifter and I swear by it! I make 10" cakes all of the time and I haven't broken/cracked one yet using this lifter. I must tell you that if you need a larger one, Sur la Table has a very large lifter.

I also have the new caddy. I like all because of all the seperate compartments. It could be a little bigger though.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 9

Oh I'll have to go check their site now! I had a whole wish list of Wilton's stuff but scrapped it when I heard all the bad reviews. icon_sad.gif Are their products still affordable?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 9

I have the two fondant presses. The flower and the leaf. I like them and they are not hard to use. Roll the fondant out with the purple O rings on the rolling pin (1/8th of an inch thick) You use the bottom of one to cut the fondant/gumpaste into a rectangle, then you place that piece of f/gp inside the two pieces. I dusted the inside of the mold and the piece of f/gp with powder sugar. You press the pieces together and it will cut the flowers/leaves and leave the imprints on them. I picked them up and squeezed it between my hands.

I also go the molds to dry them in. And I like them too.

I do have one of the impression mats but haven't gotten to use it yet, and I did get the new fondant tools.

Personally I don't have problems with most of Wilton's products. I know some people complain about them but then you also have those that use them with no problems. Unless it is a expensive item I find it best to try it out for myself.

bennettsrus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennettsrus Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 9

has anyone in canada seen the Wall-E pan yet???

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #9 of 9

I used the lifter for the first time last week and it was fabulous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%