Making Black Mmf

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 17 May 2008 , 3:30am by tracycakes

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I finally got the red mmf, now I need to make blackicon_smile.gif Should I start with brown? I do have americolor colors here. Thanks for the helpicon_smile.gif

5 replies
OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 6

I'm sorry, I can't help you with the black, but I was wondering if you could tell me how you acheived the RED. I am working with Fondant for the first time tonight and I need both RED and BLACK.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 6

Well for the red, I started with pink while the marshmallows were melted, then I kneaded in the red (it takes a ton of red!). Make sure you have glovesicon_smile.gif

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 6

Can you get your hands on chocolate marshmallows? or pink ones (makes red easier to achieve). I used chocolate marshmallows to make black fondant, or you could add cocoa powder to regular MM in order to start with a deeper base color. Then, add your black when your MM are melted like you did for red.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 6

I ALWAYS color my melted marshmallows.... no kneading color in then. Just the PS which you have to do anyways.

Be careful useing strawberry and chocolate marshmallows. I have people in my family that are allergic to strawberries (even artificial flavoring) and people who can't have chocolate. There are also people who don't like the taste of one or the other.

Please make sure you let your customer know that you are using these flavorings.... I doubt anyone out there would even think that you started with a flavored marshmallow (or adding in the chocolate powder for black) Even a lot of cake decorators wouldn't know that.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:30am
post #6 of 6

I've done both and I just used a ton of color. I've started using Americolor and I really like it. I bought it when I ran out of red since it seems like the first 3 fondant cakes I need were red and black and I used mmf. Make sure to let it sit overnight and it will get darker. I make plenty and had some left. I kept it sealed really well and out of light and I even used some tonight and I made it several months ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%