Friend Wants Cakes For A Faction Of Price...

Decorating By 2waystodo Updated 18 May 2008 , 4:46am by 2waystodo

2waystodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2waystodo Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #1 of 24

A friend of mine wanted 4 cakes...sizes 12, 10, 8, 4...and wanted double filling and fondant dots and sprinkles...

She wanted to pay $40.00 for all 4 cakes...

I gave her a price, and broke down my charges...

I even called local bakerys in my area to confirm my prices were fair...and indeed they were...

This was the first time I encounted someone I knew that had a problem with my price..

My question is: has anyone gone through this and how did you handle it...?

She decided on one cake...but was still trying to get me to lower the price...I didn't...

Suggestions are welcome ....Thanks...

23 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:42am
post #2 of 24

Here's an "You're too expensive" thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586766-.html

HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:54am
post #3 of 24

Good for you, for staying firm on the price!

You couldn't have even bought your supplies for that price. I'm sure she knew what she was asking for, and had a basic idea of how much it would cost other places.

I don't sell cakes...but I have offered to make a cake for a friend before and had my gift cake turn into something outrageous (a 3 tiered monstrosity for her 8 year old's birthday, complete with stuffed animals tied to the pillars). I've learned to limit what I offer to a friend.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 24

Not sure that she could get even walmart cakes at ten bucks each!

I would have laughed out loud and said, "No, seriously, what did you want to spend?" And then after successfully making her feel like an idiot, I would have sent her to walmart, where seh can't get cakes like that and where she'll spend more than forty bucks.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 24

I keep the local grocery store's number handy and just wish them luck.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 24

My family and friends used to think they can get cheap cakes...now I charge full price and if they don't like it...they can go to Costco!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 24

I wanted a BMW, but when I offered $12,000 for one, they just laughed. I ended up buying a Hyundai instead.

Mind you it's a NICE Hyundai...but it's not a custom BMW. And I don't think the BMW guy lost any sleep over it.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 24

Good for you! I am guilty of charging less than I really feel I should for close friends/family but $40 for 4 CAKES! I think that is pretty rude, even for someone who is not familiar with the time and work that goes into cake decorating. I can't believe she is still trying to get you to lower your price. Stay firm!!!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 24

thumbs_up.gif Thumbs up for sticking to your prices! I no longer give my cakes away...it's way to expensive. If I choose to "donate" a cake...I donate my time. They still have to cover my expenses for ingedients and such.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2waystodo

A friend of mine wanted 4 cakes...sizes 12, 10, 8, 4...and wanted double filling and fondant dots and sprinkles...

I take it you're using the term 'friend' loosely?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 24

You know, I just ran the numbers. Those cakes will serve approx 120 (wilton wedding chart). That's 30 cents a serving!!! icon_surprised.gif

This chic is even worse than what I call a Twinkie Budget Bride!!! It would be SO much fun to tell her that she can't even get twinkies for 120 people for forty bucks! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 24

Stick to your prices and tell her you pay XX for this cake if you don't want to pay XX then I am sorry I can not help you with your cake.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You know, I just ran the numbers. Those cakes will serve approx 120 (wilton wedding chart). That's 30 cents a serving!!! icon_surprised.gif

This chic is even worse than what I call a Twinkie Budget Bride!!! It would be SO much fun to tell her that she can't even get twinkies for 120 people for forty bucks! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL it's a 1 piece of mini snickers budget icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #14 of 24

yikes! is she kidding?? icon_eek.gif seems like she is trying to take advantage of you. icon_confused.gif give her a price and stick to your guns. don't sell yourself short. thumbs_up.gif

2waystodo Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:46am
post #15 of 24

Very encouraging hearing from all of you...

I met with her in person and she decided on a 14''...
I had to give her a price...decorated $62.00...She still tried to get me to lower the price but...I asked her what did she pay to hi-light her hair, she said $100.00. I asked her how long it took, she said 2 hours...I told her I have a friend that is a beautican and the supplies alone are under $15.00...the rest is labor...
I believe she understood a little better...after this example...

People have no idea what is involved in 'cake decorating'....

I would like to Thank all of you...for taking the time to respond to me...It helped alot...

Syl.... thumbs_up.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:03am
post #16 of 24

Ãh good heavens. This person is not a friend. A real friend urges you to charge more.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Ãh good heavens. This person is not a friend. A real friend urges you to charge more.

Great point!!!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 24

Good thinking with the example of the highlights........I would've never thought of that on the spot. You will feel sooooo good standing up for yourself. I always do.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #19 of 24

Excellent example!

Here's a thought : UHHHH cost of eggs, milk, butter, etc. has gone up 30% in the last month!

Beth in KY

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 24

Yes I have a "friend" at work who always wants me to charge less - she wanted to pay $15 dollars for a three tiered cake! Whenever she wants to order a cake she says "I have a cake for you to practice on" Like I should not charge her much just because I never made it before! On the other hand I have a friend at church who got a huge cake for her husbands retirement and I was charging her $300 - she told me I needed to do something about my prices and paid me $600! Now that's a friend!
Karon

(edited to correct typos!)

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:00pm
post #21 of 24

Dito to what chutzpah wrote!

I guess I've been lucky......I don't know when a friend gave me a price for a cake. They have always been happy with the price I give them. Usually it is lower than normal pricing but you have to cover your costs.

I've done cakes for COSTS ONLY but its usually a large wedding cake for a very close friend. and it is my choice.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:06pm
post #22 of 24

Kcat3740 you're right that's a friend....

I've gotten tips before and it really makes you feel good.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

LOL it's a 1 piece of mini snickers budget icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Hahaha!!! I was thinking of a tic-tac budget...lol

2waystodo Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:46am
post #24 of 24

Thanks for the encouraging words...
When your just starting to charge for your cakes...its a learning experience....
And I'm a quick learner icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
The comment about someone saying that her friend wants a low price because she never made that cake before...I'd say, if you know the basic of cake decorating...1st cake or 100th cake its all the same because when you start making and decorating a cake you never know what if any problems you will have are if you will breeze through it....
We just have to do the best we can, and charge people what we feel is fair...and the rest....well, it will work out...
I've learned alot, and I know I'll be learning for long time...

Take Care, Everyone.....God Bless....Syl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%