Super Urgent Question About Filling!!!

Decorating By Anna31 Updated 16 May 2008 , 2:03pm by Anna31

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake tonight for an order due tomorrow. I used pudding for the filling and have not done this before. It has occured to me that maybe it should be refrigerated????? Do I need to worry about that? Do I need to keep it in the fridg.???? If so, I'm not sure I want to sell it to the customer and thinking I should start over but can't think of any other filling to go with Lemon cake! HELP!!!!! Please! icon_confused.gif

Anna

5 replies
Edibleconcept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleconcept Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

You're not alone. I made a Lemon Cake today & used Lemon Buttercream instead. It's okay to use pudding, so long as you tell the customer to put in in the fridge. It will especially go bad in warm temperatures. HTH icon_smile.gif

2fun4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2fun4me Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 6

I made a lemon cake last week with lemon pie filling and raspberry filling--it turned out great! The pie filling might work as a substitute for the pudding.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #4 of 6

PUdding cups do tell you any leftover or opened container must be refrigerated. I don't think they are really safe for being left out for many hr or day at a time. Yes, the filling is sealed w/in the cake but still it can spoil.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #5 of 6

It depends on your pudding. Scratch, made with milk, I'd definitely refrigerate and inform customer.

commercial type, check the label. If it states "refrigerate after opening"...follow above.

commercial type that is shelf stable, I believe it also should state on the label how long it can sit at ambient room temperature. If the shelf life isn't confirmed on label, I would say one-two days without refrigeration...also, a kindly reminder to customer that it is a pudding filling and to promptly refrigerate leftovers.

Or, just play it safe and follow first suggestion regardless of the type of pudding it is.

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! DH looked up the Jell-O website and found that it needed to be refrigerated. So I just decided to scrap it. I put it in the freezer for future FAMILY use. Customer was a last minute order and said if it was too short notice it was okay. I am gearing up for a huge wedding next weekend which is just about going to kill me! So I wasn't going to take any more orders till it was over anyway. Thank you for the pie filling idea! That sounds great! I will try that next time for sure! Wonderful! Thanks again for all your help every one! icon_smile.gif

Anna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%