Red Frosting

Decorating By nessa4 Updated 16 May 2008 , 10:48am by kdaze

nessa4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nessa4 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so My SIL is turning 60yrs old this Sunday and I volunteered to make her cake. So when I asked her what her favorite color was she said "red!" ahhh.. I have tried to make red before, but it was more like a dark pink. Sooooo..... What do you use to make red like a red rose red? I was thinking maybe christmas red may work, but I am not sure. I don't want to mess up the flavor or anything either.
Please help....

Nessa
(Beginner)

7 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 8

If you use Wilton colorings, try making orange BC first (doesn't take much), then add a little red, maybe a touch of burgundy if you want to deepen it.

Let it sit a few hours, covered in the bowl -- you'll get a nice rich red that's not pinkish.

Hope this helps!

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 8

I use to always stay away from red and black because I could never get the correct colors. I then discovered Ameritex gel colors and I now use
red and black all the time. I get it at my local cake decorating shop. It comes in a small squeeze bottle and all you need is a couple of drops to get started. I then add one drop at a time till I get the color that I want. The colors do intensify over time so I let them sit usually overnight.
I don't use Wilton colors anymore and they don't cost much more that Wilton's colors. It worth the try to locate a cake shop near you or order them on line. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

nessa4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nessa4 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 8

Thank You, both very much. I am going to try both options and see which one works best for me. I would like to start using red, but have just been intimidated by it.
I wonder if Michaels would sell that brand you use (2nd poster), I guess it is worth a shot since I am going there today anyways! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 8

I know that the Michaels in KY only carries Wilton products!!

ALVARGA did you mean AmeriColor or is there a brand Ameritex? I'm still learning. If it's AmeriColor....Check out Global Sugar Art...they have a lot of those colors.

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 8

If you are only using the red as an accent color try coloring it with dry kool-aide mix. Use cherry, strawberry, fruit punch any flavor that is red. You can then add red coloring if necessary. This help achieve a rich dark red. It really doesn't taste bad either. Just taste it first to make sure the flavor won't interfere with your cake flavor. I have even decorated a large portion of a cake with it and the customer loved the flavor. It was a strong cherry flavor that they liked with the chocolate cake.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

My mistake....It is Americolor.

Great stuff...........

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:48am
post #8 of 8

If you only need it for an accent use tube color from the grocery store. The colors are true for red and black and you don't have the red and black on your hands. I likt to keep a tube of the black on hand for when I have to do eyes. Just a suggestion. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%