Get Less Air In Bc??

Decorating By Shola Updated 16 May 2008 , 11:15am by cookiesup

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I bought some Wilton tips and have been trying to practice the basic stuff from the Wilton Course books but when I make BC it's full of tiny air bubbles icon_sad.gif , it doesn't matter if I just wanna cover a cake but when I went to pipe it really makes things look messy, I use an electric hand mixer which I know incorporates air into the mix but how can I avoid that? Is there any way, or is there a better recipe that doesn't get so 'airy'?
I saw Sugarshack's YouTube vid but I don't own a mixer like that and have no need to make huge amounts!

Shola
XXX

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:20am
post #2 of 5

try letting your icing rest in a bowl, then gently stir the icing. I usually make my icing the day before i need it,then throw it back in the mixer to just stir it on the lowest setting, it helps to get rid of all those air bubbles.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:05am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Peg, I will give that a go icon_smile.gif
I was just having a nose at your pics, your BC is super neat! Can I ask what recipe you use?

Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:49am
post #4 of 5

You may also want to, sift the sugar and try to whip your icing at a lower speed. Let it rest overnight and work it the next day with a spatula, smooshing the icing on the sides of the bowl. Also, add a tbs. or so of corn syrup per recipe of Class Buttercream. But if it all fails, just add 1/3 of the container of the small ready-to-use decorators icing by Wilton (it works like magic to cream up and smooth down your icing) icon_smile.gif

cookiesup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesup Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:15am
post #5 of 5

Are the air bubbles coming after you add a color? When I am tinting the BC, I do it by hand and try to hold your bowl in one arm and sort of use your wrist back and forth on the mixing hand...I use a small off set spatula for this. Hope it makes sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%