Cards For A Poker Cake

Decorating By bella7497 Updated 16 May 2008 , 1:26am by BellaBabyCakes

bella7497 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bella7497 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 10

I'm looking for some ideas on how to create playing cards to put onto a Poker cake. I am new to cake decorating so any ideas would be appreciated.

9 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:31am
post #2 of 10

I'd say easiest way would be gumpaste and fondant mix 50/50 or extra gumpaste for hardness, roll thin, cut the shape, wait for it to harden and paint the card you want with gel colour, I can't think of a simpler way to do it, if there is one I'm sure someone will put me right! icon_smile.gif

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:01am
post #3 of 10

If you search on the wilton website for poker cake, they have one with instructions, I just used a ruler to cut the cards, let them dry and wrote the numbers and suits with food safe markers..HTH

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:10am
post #4 of 10

Some people do the fondant or gp or a mix and then do edible images on them icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 10

i agree a fondant/gumpaste would be the easiest way to go-dries nice and hard and you could cut it out with a cookie cutter or ruler and exactoknife-i woudl probably use food safe markers to decorate when dried

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 10

I found cheap plastic chocolate molds for the aces, some face cards, and a joker. I dusted the molds with some cornstarch and molded the cards out of fondant. I didn't fill the molds to the top, just about halfway up so that the cards would be somewhat thin. I let them dry and then painted them with Americolor colors mixed with a bit of vodka.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYING-CARDS-CANDY-SOAP-CHOCOLATE-FAVORS-MOLD-MOLDS_W0QQitemZ230249119951QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.morethanjustcandy.com/PLAYING-FACE-CARDS-CHOCOLATE-MOLD/M/B0014BA81A.htm?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

HTH
Rae

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 10

Maybe you could do a chocolate transfer.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 10

Another one is using plaque paste as it dries quicker than the fondant/gumpaste mix and goes really hard... doesnt tend to break as easy either... then you can either paint on iwth the gels or using the cake markers... good luck we look forward to seeing a pic..

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 10

Hi. For my brother's birthday, I did a Royal Flush cake. I made vanilla cookie cutouts rolled thin and covered them with white royal icing, then decorated accordingly. I used food-safe markers to do the art work, and I wouldn't recommend it. (Maybe it was the brand of marker, but I didn't achieve the look I wanted.) If I had to do it over, I would use colored royal icing on top of the white iced cookie. Before placing the cookies on the cake, I piped a small mound of icing on the cake, so that the cards would be propped up from behind and not lying flat on the cake. (Hope I explained that okay.)

Also, having made a batch of cookie dough, we had a tray of "card" cookies to go along with the cake!

Good luck & let us know how it goes! icon_smile.gif

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 10

I've been saving poker images for a future cake for my husband (a die hard poker freak!). I'm looking for simple images for a frozen buttercream transfer, that's how I plan on doing it anyway....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%