Confectionery Glaze - How To Clean

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 15 May 2008 , 10:36pm by MikeRowesHunny

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #1 of 18

I just used confectionery glaze for the first time to paint it on my dolphins to make them shiny. When I went to clean the paintbrush in water, it ceased up and is now a hard clump........anyone know how to clean it out of the brush......thanks.

17 replies
dogluvr Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:46am
post #2 of 18

I stuck it back in the glaze and let it sit and its no longer all stuck.....but what do I clean the brush with so it won't cease up!!!!!!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 18

What is the glaze made out of?

dogluvr Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 18

I'm not sure...its from CK ...it says contains food grade refined bleached lac........I also had it in a bowl and used a funnel to pour it back and it has hardened on my funnel and bowl..........

dogluvr Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 18

If no one really knows.......I will have to go to CKs website and ask.......I was hoping for a quicker answer.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #6 of 18

Dogluvr you need to buy the cleaner also .. there is a special cleaner I ordered with mine.. that takes all the gook off of everything

dogluvr Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:45am
post #7 of 18

thank you so much........

wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:48am
post #8 of 18

your welcome icon_smile.gif

(btw LOVE your puppy icon_smile.gif )

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:19am
post #9 of 18

Save yourself the $$$$, go to the drug store and buy alcohol that is 95% or above. Does the same job at the fraction of the price of the cleaner (which itself is pretty much just alcohol!). Once the gunk is off the brush you can then wash it in soapy water as usual. Hope that helps!

wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #10 of 18

I just ordered the cleaner because in my opinion spending a gob in gas is just as expensive lol

MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:26am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I just ordered the cleaner because in my opinion spending a gob in gas is just as expensive lol

Fair enough, I'm lucky enough to live nearby a shopping street where there are 2 drugstores and it takes me 2 minutes to walk there! I always forget that there are parts of the US where you have to drive everywhere to find anything because it's all housed in humongous malls! Our large supermarkets sell it too in the medicinal supplies - you may find it called rubbing alcohol.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:26am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

I just used confectionery glaze for the first time to paint it on my dolphins to make them shiny. When I went to clean the paintbrush in water, it ceased up and is now a hard clump........anyone know how to clean it out of the brush......thanks.

icon_wink.gif The word is "seize" as in frozen up ("cease" means to stop).

Confectionery glaze thinner works too....but if 95% or higher isopropyl alcohol works, that would be a bit cheaper. I haven't tried that but it's good to know. Confectionery glaze is noxious stuff to get off of things if it's allowed to dry or has seized up in water.

Sherri

wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:28am
post #13 of 18

I love the look of the glaze.. the next time I use it I will be using a box to spray the little decorations in icon_wink.gif

I'm still finding spots on my counter LOL

MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #14 of 18

Definitely cheaper for me! A 100ml bottle of ISP costs me about $1.50, the same amount of 'glaze cleaner' costs me $8 PLUS shipping from the UK (as much again most likely!).
Edited to add: it's also fabulous for painting with mixed with gel colours or mixed with lustre dust. I just customised a bought claydough bride and groom for an upcoming wedding doing both of these and they look great!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #15 of 18

Now, please correct me if I am wrong here.. But Ispropyl Alcohol is toxic when consumed. If is meant for medicinal and cleaning purposes. I would not use it for mixing with luster dust. I use vodka (everclear) for that.

wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #16 of 18

I would also use Everclear to clean your brushes and or just use cheap brushes that you can throw away

And ALWAYS use the confectioners glaze that says food grade on it.. there are those that aren't food grade icon_sad.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #17 of 18

I thought I replied to this yesterday, but apparently my reply blew up. icon_confused.gif

I recommend getting the thinner, too. It's only 5 bucks and will last forever.

In the future, use all disposable materials. I buy those 12 for $1 kid's paintbrushes for use with glaze and just toss it when I'm finished. I pour my glaze into a paper cup (never dip your brush into the bottle) and line my work surface with wax paper. If there's glaze left in the cup, DO NOT pour it down the sink. Shove a paper towel into the cup and toss it in the trash.

I only need the thinner to clean up the occasional accidental drip or to clean my hands if I'm working on a particularly messy project.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Now, please correct me if I am wrong here.. But Ispropyl Alcohol is toxic when consumed. If is meant for medicinal and cleaning purposes. I would not use it for mixing with . I use vodka (everclear) for that.

I didn't use it on something edible, I used it to clean the brushes that I had used for the CONFECTIONER'S GLAZE mixed with gel colours and lustre dust! I'm not a moron you know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%