Where Do I Start?

Decorating By jenstaley Updated 14 May 2008 , 5:29pm by gottabakenow

jenstaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstaley Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 3

I want to make my 2 year old a cool nemo themed cake for his birthday, but I know NOTHING!!! I was thinking of doing 3 "walls" out of cardboard with a reef setting painted on them, and the bottom would be a sheat cake decorated to look like sand, but I also want some coral made from cake or something to give it dimension, and then the fishies....do I use fondunt, gumpaste, etc (I really know nothing about these things) what is a good cake recipie that can be cut and formed and keep shape?
thanks a ton!

2 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 3

For the 3-D effects (coral, fixh, etc) I suggest fondant or gumpaste. Gumpaste will dry harder, but I find fondant to be more forgiving to a beginner. The pre-made stuff by Wilton is fine for modeling with - just doesn't taste good. It's just like playing with playdough, just greast up your hands and use a little powdered sugar to keep it from getting sticky.

There is a recipe for White Almond Sour Cream cake (WASC) and it's variations. Look in the recipes sections or serch through the forum. If you can't find it, pm me and I'll send you the recipe. It's yummy and very stable.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 3

welcome to CC! beware- it's addicting! icon_wink.gif I did a search for you in the galleries for nemo- here are the results.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=nemo

HTH

Eva

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%