Anyone Use Gfs Cs ?

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 15 May 2008 , 12:03am by jackie64

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 17

I just purchased a 25# box of it at GFS wow what a great price as well .

16 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 17

I think my kids must have sucked out my brains mentally today. What is CS?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 17

Me, too! What's CS? I was going to head there today and if CS is something I need then I'd better find out what it is!icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 17

maybe confectioners sugar?

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 17

Hmmm...if I knew what GFS CS was I would tell ya icon_smile.gif

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 17

GFS is Gordan Food Service and I believe CS is confectioners sugar.

I LOVE their confectioners sugar! I buy it by the case of 2# bags because I don't sift anything! LOL

I used to be a die heart Domino sugar fan but like the Gordans better. Not as much corn starch in it doesn't fly around as much.

sunny2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunny2 Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 17

It is confectioner's sugar.

I used to use it, however after getting a couple of boxes that were lumpy and having lumpy icing I decided to not use it any more. I felt that if I had to sift it every time the price savings was not great enough. I have found a store brand of confectioner's sugar that I like. I stock up when it goes on sale so the price I pay is less than the box from GFS.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 17

I LOVE that Confectioners Sugar. I hope you like it too. I can't beat the price either. $12 something for 25 lb.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 17

I grabbed a 25# bag once and didn't notice until I got home that is was 6X, not 10X. Had to sift that whole bag. Last time I bought it. I too have switched to a store brand that I like better.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 17

I prefer the 6x powdered sugar (from GFS). icon_smile.gif

And I always sift any brand of powdered sugar (and flour) before use.

HTH

JanH Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 17

I prefer the 6x powdered sugar (from GFS). icon_smile.gif

And I always sift any brand of powdered sugar (and flour) before use.

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 17

Really? Please explain why. Because by definition, 6X is a larger grit than 10X.

JanH Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 17

My goodness, I can't believe its taken over 20 minutes for me to be able to get back to this thread....

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I'm getting really bizarre error messages, and my dial-up is taking forever to load the pages. icon_sad.gif

6x vs. 10x powdered sugar by CakemanOH:
(Posted as a "Secret Tip" in another thread.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50324-.html

HTH

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for posting this (and the thread link too JanH) I'm only about 15 minutes away from GFS and buy my sweetex from them. It would be a money saver in the long run for me. I'll make sure to go pick some up with in the next few day to try.
I was wondering about the 6x powdered sugar if it would work or not for icing cakes if you use a 1/2 butter -1/2 high ratio recipe?

jackie64 Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 17

I am glad to see some people like it. I bought a storage tub and I bagged it up in ziplock bags so I think it will stay fresh this way I hope . I did sift 8 cups of it and I did notice a little grit but I was getting the same thing from the Domino Brand, so I thought I would give this brand a try . How do you all store your CS? mkolmar do you get the sweetex in a 50# cube? I was going to get some too and the warehouse was out so a store rep told me to call back in 2 weeks. Sorry guys talking about Gordon Food Service and Confectioners Sugar . By the way what is icing base ? JanH that thread you posted has me wondering what this is and how do you use it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 17

I had my GFS sales rep in a couple of days ago and I told him I would continue to get my powdered sugar elsewhere ..... because all of GFS's 10X sugar is beet sugar and only the 6X was cane sugar.

I want 10X cane powdered sugar.

Ref thread http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-576851-beet.html

(Psst! And thanks, gang, for explaining "CS" .... since I call it powdered sugar, I had no idea what "CS" was either.)

jackie64 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #17 of 17

The box had 6X on it ,I have only used Dominos and the great value brand in the past so I dont know if I have ever used beet sugar instead of cane. I guess Im gonna hope this sugar is cane .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%