Train Cake Help Needed!

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 14 May 2008 , 3:51pm by CakeMommyTX

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a replica of Disney's Lilly Belle Train (just the engine.) Its for the conductors birthday so it needs to be as realistic as possible.

I think I have the structure figured out (think being a relative term, any help is appreciated) however how should I decorate it?

Should I cover it in one piece of fondant and then add the details or piece the fondant on?

I'm really stumped at how to get all the detail on it, I've never been very good with realistic things.
Any tips and pointers will be a huge help, thanks!!!!
LL

4 replies
mjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjcakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 5

Wow, what a train. Most that I have done have been for kids so they didn't have to look realistic. But, I would cover the body of the train in fondant 1st. What are you using for the large black smoke stack? It would be hard to do in cake. I would use black fondant and mold it in that shape and attach it onto a skewer of some sort to give it support. Cut smaller peiced of fondant out for the details, like strips of fondant. Paint with gold shimmer dust. Hope this helps! However you may be out of my league and already knew this stuff...

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 5

I can't really offer any advice but recently I saw a train cake in the gallery that was black and looked very real.

Perhaps you could PM the creator and ask for tips.

All I can say is that I think it would be easieer to use pieces of fondant instead of one large piece. It looks like there are enough details to cover the seams.

good luck

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with leannewinslow. Piece it together. Duff did a smoke-stack out of styrofoam. then dowel it to the train.
Good Luck! Can't wait to see the final product!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

I did'nt even notice the smoke stack!
I was too overwhelmed with all the other detail!
I'm thinking I will do styrofoam for the smoke stack.
This cake scares me! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%