What Is The Easiest Way To Practice With Fondant?

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 14 May 2008 , 5:36pm by tracycakes

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 5

I've never used fondant before. I'm thinking of buying a cake dummy. If I use a styrofoam cake dummy, can I use piping gel to spreaad on the dummy, and than fondant over it? I'd then want to be able to take the fondant off, wash the dummies, and use a different fondant color/ pattern another day. Would this work?

Thanks!

Katie

4 replies
cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't tried it with piping gel before. I either just wet the dummy with a damp paper towel (as long as the dummy is nice and smooth...I've got some older dummies that are a little dented or pitted and those I can't just get wet and make look good) Or, I use royal icing. Just don't let it get too dry. It's harder to clean, but works to fill in any imperfections.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 5

Another thing that I like to do is to put a thin layer of shortening (very thin) on the dummy. The fondant sticks and then when you take it off, you can re-knead the fondant (if it hasn't dried yet) and do it again!

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks everybody. I will try the crisco and see how it works.

Katie

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

I would just make a cake and practice on that. I thought about getting a dummy but I decided to try to new cake recipes too, so I just do it all at once. I've only had to throw out one cake. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

The cake tasted horrible and the decorations looked crappy so I just tossed it out after my hubby and I each took a piece. I took 1 bite, spit it out and threw it away. As far as the decorations, I had a design in my mind, starting looking for my cutters and realized I hadn't bought them yet so I had to change in midstream. I really didn't like what I came up with so it was a practice cake all around. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%